Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Since Sunday I'm in a lot of trouble with Photos:
I wanted to try a program that doesn't work on Mojave, but it has been updated on Big Sur that I have installed on an external disk and it's fast ..too fast šŸ˜Ÿ . I needed a photo and without thinking I launched the Photo library I use lately
Thanks goodnesses I have few different libraries but still.. there were 6000 photos~=36GB.
As soon as I launch it I realize that was WRONG because of the different systems. Maybe 2 seconds and I quit Photos.

Too late the disaster was done, but I didn't know the extent of the damage yet. I thought : good I stopped it just on time.
Then I did all my backups. That library goes on 3 different disks. :rolleyes:

Monday morning I was back in Mojave and I opened the library...well I tried : "it has been used by a more recent Photos, update your Photos."

I tried to repair it, no way. I opened the packages of that library and a different one, to compare what the heck Big Sur could have put in 2 seconds in my library. A lot, legacy folders, a completely different way of dealing with the library
Long story short : tried several ways, read a lot around but no solution.
The only one was to create a new library and import manually all my photos retrieved in the broken library.
All the Master photos were enough . Now I'm playing finding the doubles , or triples because the library s$&#
And I didn't import the resources , tons of other photos there too. Randomly checked few , just to be sure and the masters were already there.
I will always try to open my photo libraries before doing the backups..just in case something goes wrong.
Lesson learned.

• Wow
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't use Photos, but I'm really sorry you are having difficulty with your library. :(

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
What other photos management apps are available? I mean just for storage use on Mac

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Iā€™m so sorry @katbel ! This must be so painful. Thereā€™s a lot of good in Photos management of images, though itā€™s not something I use very much. If you have any recent backups across the different OSs youā€™re running thatā€™s the least painful way forward. I know @bunnspecial is running zillions of versions of Mac operating systems for his own needs and was experiencing similar though different pain recently with different Lightroom versions. For me, anything that allows me to stay ā€œclose to the filesystemā€ is where Iā€™ve opted. While both (more) expensive and complex, Capture One automatically gives me a backup of a catalog or session if I upgrade (on purpose or accidentally). Lightroom (I think) has similar features. Capture One has this concept of ā€sessionsā€ where essentially most adjustments are stored in files on the filesystem rather than in a databases so for me, thereā€™s a little more flexibility there. Point being less the tool, but that Photos doesnā€™t have a lot of options to ā€œback outā€ and is pretty brute force. ā€œBack outā€ in Photos is usually your ā€œlast backupā€ unfortunately. When you come up for air, it may be worth exploring the thread mollyc posted and thinking about whether some other tool with some more fail-safes built in might help. I know it has helped me over the years.

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Finished the culling right now! While importing I deleted several other photos, not bad!
Spring cleaning..
Now after checking the working new library, I' m copying it in the usual backups
Thanks for all your suggestions and moral support šŸ™‚

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm sorry that this has happened to you, Katbel; unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer since I don't use and never have used Photos or back in the day, iPhoto. I did discuss my particular approach in the other thread. I can only imagine how frustrating this all is for you right now! I hope you get it all resolved and also can find a good solution to avoid this happening again in the future. It definitely would be a good idea to consider using something other than Photos and its libraries for keeping your images.....

If I may suggest, too, it might be a good idea to have all of the machines in your household (the Macs, anyway) running the same version of the OS. Whenever we have a new software OS update I always run it on my machines so that they are all on the same page; just keeps life simpler that way!

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Ugh, I'm really sorry to hear this @katbel and I'm glad to hear things are going better today. Fingers crossed everything is back in a place where you can find it soon!

I stay far, far away from the Photos app. I know it may be too late to make a change for you and the many others who have been using it for years, though. Photos just takes over too much control from me. For example, it strips filenames from images and creates its own name for each image you import. If there was a way to be sure that Apple would never change or discontinue Photos, then it may be suitable for some people to use as their database. But we all know there's no way to guarantee that. Just ask all the people who used to use iPhoto and Aperture.

When I send images to clients, I want to make sure they have images that have searchable metadata, as well as a filename that makes sense. That way when they look at a file they still know who or what it is a picture of, without even opening it. This makes it easier for their publication needs. If I just sent them photos with a string of numbers and letters as a filename, that wouldn't be helping them. I want to produce images that are app- and platform-agnostic so people who aren't using Photos, or even Macs, have access to all of the information I have put in the metadata fields.

I don't know of a professional photographer or publication that uses Photos. I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't know of any.

With a basic file naming, keywording and backup strategy, your images will exist in a way that a simple Finder search will lead you to the image you're looking for. That's why I recommended Photo Mechanic in your other thread about finding an app for organizing photos. Good luck!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Your support means a lot to me! To all of you šŸ’–

Yesterday I had another idea, too bad I didn't follow up with that one immediately
I should have stayed in BigSur, finished to update the library, already compromised.
Then export all the photos and reimport them in the new library: it would have been much easier, because of the changed names, as @Jumpthesnark mentioned.
This could be an useful tip to someone who could end in a similar

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.