Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petros77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Hello, my iphone storage is full of photos. 20gb total and i have all of them in my icloud storage plan of 50gb. Now i want to delete them from my iphone for having space for new one, but i do not want to delete them in icloud. I have found that the only way to do this is by sign out of my icloud account and then delete my photos from my iphone. My question is what will happen when i sign in again. I believe that all photos will be download from icloud to my phone. Is this wright? Also if i have already another 5 gb photos in my iphone what will happens? Store my new 5gb photos to icloud and then downloading everything in my iphone until the storage of iphone get full?
Any other reccomendation for having photos to icloud but not to my phone because there is no storage?
Google photos can delete every photo from youw device but not from the Google servers, so you can have your phone empty and you can see every photo in your Google library.....
Is there such a way in ios??

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
iCloud Photos will always try to sync to your iPhone.

The solution is: Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Photos > Optimize Storage

That feature is designed to automatically do what you're trying to do manually - remove photos from the iPhone without removing them from iCloud.

Reactions: Petros77

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
Optimize storage will do it for you BUT it does NOT remove photos (and it shouldn't) from your phone; it will replace the orig photo with a lower res version of the photo thereby saving / freeing up space. If you try to edit or zoom iOS will download the orig from icloud and let you do your thing.
This works nicely so turn Optimize storage ON.

Reactions: Petros77

NewClassicMac

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
Optimize storage will do it for you BUT it does NOT remove photos (and it shouldn't) from your phone; it will replace the orig photo with a lower res version of the photo thereby saving / freeing up space. If you try to edit or zoom iOS will download the orig from icloud and let you do your thing.
This works nicely so turn Optimize storage ON.

Based on your answer in this thread, maybe you could correct or confirm my understanding with iCloud photos. My iCloud storage is full, namely because of my photos. I don't remember turning photos on in iCloud, but now I want to turn it off. It warns me my photos will be deleted in 30 days. So here is my understanding: I download my photos regularly from my iPhone to my computer. I believe those are originals in full resolution. I believe the iCloud photos are from my phone and computer and stored for my convenience across devices. I believe by turning off iPhotos from iCloud it will delete those stored in the cloud, but the ones on my computer are the high resolution originals and they will still be there after 30 days. Is this thought/belief correct or have I been led down a path of forever upgrading my iCloud storage plan to not lose my photos?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
If you have Amazon prime, I highly recommend you use their "Amazon photos" service over Icloud. You get unlimited storage (photos) and 5gigs (video) and can pick and choose what goes and what doesn't go out to the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.