Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrodan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Washington, DC
In the last week both me and my wife's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 started running out of batteries only hours after unplugging, even without much or any use (both batteries were replaced by apple within the last month). The standby and usage times since last charge are the same regardless of how much the phone has been in use. Finally, photos has taken up 60-75% of the battery "over the last XX hours" even though it says its only run a few minutes on screen and a few minutes in the background (screenshots below).

Today it also appears to have spread to my 5th gen iPad, which also has photos draining the vast majority of the battery despite me not having used photos at all.

I use iCloud photo library on my 6s and my iPad, though my wife does not use it on her iPhone (all three devices show same symptoms). I've done a complete restore of my phone, I reset network settings, I logged out then back into iCloud, and I logged out of iCloud photo library. None of those steps worked.

Has anybody else had any of these problems? Does anyone have any further troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks for your help.

IMG_5692.PNG IMG_5693.PNG

carrodan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Washington, DC
For anyone having this problem in the future, my issues were solved by deleting photos that were in the "deleted photos" album in Photos. All devices have returned to normal battery performance since I deleted the photos in the "deleted photos" album.

asterizk

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Sarasota, Florida
Wow, this is totally counterintuitive -- deleting deleted photos solving a battery issue? -- but more than willing to give it a try. Photos has been using 60+% of my battery in the background for the last 6 months (and I have the screenshots to prove it), super frustrating. Have a Genius bar appt on Thursday, will be interesting to see what they say I should do. My guess is, full reset and restore. I am using iCloud Photo library by the way, and my library has 125k photos including ~4400 videos, so it's not small by any means, and yes I am using Optimize Storage (or there's no way it would all fit :)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.