Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
On the Photos app, when I click into a video which was recorded on my new 13 Pro, the video itself will jump to near 100% brightness, but none of the rest of the screen will. The same does not happen when I tap into a video recorded on my old XR.

Interestingly, when I do a screen record and do the same thing (tap into the video), there is no boost in brightness.

So I'm wondering if this is a bug as opposed to a feature, and whether others are experiencing it.

Reactions: Dormammu

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
D'oh.

I thought it was a bug because it stops when I do a screen recording.

To save my blushes, I came from an XR so you know... :')

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
HDR is neat that way. With an LCD display, the backlight brightness is the brightest the screen can possibly be. So the white interface elements around a photo you're looking at will always be the brightest thing on the screen.

With HDR on OLED, anything on the screen can be any brightness up to the maximum the display supports (which is VERY bright). It can be a very strange effect when you're not used to it; it certainly surprised me when it first happened on my 11 Pro Max.

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
HDR is neat that way. With an LCD display, the backlight brightness is the brightest the screen can possibly be. So the white interface elements around a photo you're looking at will always be the brightest thing on the screen.

With HDR on OLED, anything on the screen can be any brightness up to the maximum the display supports (which is VERY bright). It can be a very strange effect when you're not used to it; it certainly surprised me when it first happened on my 11 Pro Max.
Yea - evidently the change to an OLED is what led me to think something was up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.