Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Jodorowsky-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am encountering a problem with Photos, like I said in the title, it is not showing "Photos" tab under Library on the side bar.

I can click and browse the Memories, Favorites, People, Places, Recent, to display my pictures, and I can right-click any picture and select "Display in all my pictures".

When I do that, it actually shows all my pictures properly, and I can access them all, but there are no category selected on the side menu for me to click to get back to this...

I have attached a screenshot.

I must say that the only "trick" is that the machine running all this is a fresh install (last night) of Catalina on a MacBookPro 13inches early 2011... and I understand it's not officially supported.

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm French, so the names of the menus may not bet properly translated (I used the US version of the user manual for Photos) and the screenshot is from the French version, but you get the idea...)

Attachments

• AA46CBB8-6D71-48BA-8F85-585E5D31975B.jpeg
    AA46CBB8-6D71-48BA-8F85-585E5D31975B.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 522
Reactions: MacCanick

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Hello everyone,

I am encountering a problem with Photos, like I said in the title, it is not showing "Photos" tab under Library on the side bar.

I can click and browse the Memories, Favorites, People, Places, Recent, to display my pictures, and I can right-click any picture and select "Display in all my pictures".

When I do that, it actually shows all my pictures properly, and I can access them all, but there are no category selected on the side menu for me to click to get back to this...

I have attached a screenshot.

I must say that the only "trick" is that the machine running all this is a fresh install (last night) of Catalina on a MacBookPro 13inches early 2011... and I understand it's not officially supported.

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm French, so the names of the menus may not bet properly translated (I used the US version of the user manual for Photos) and the screenshot is from the French version, but you get the idea...)

in your screenshot it shows there is keyboard stroke command to show Hidden photos.
yet the normal window to view Photos is not there at all in that menu.
Presentation/Phototeque/Masquee (View/Library/Hidden)
apple doesn't normally show the Hidden option there unless there are photos (at least some photos) hidden.
it could be that all yr photos are simply hidden and just need to be un-hidden.
the photos are obviously there.

-Jodorowsky-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks niji for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I did activate the Hidden album, because I thought they were in it, but they are not, only two old pics that were manually hidden a while back.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Are you running Catalina on an officially-unsupported Mac? This thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-15-catalina-on-unsupported-macs.2183772/ says in its first post:

In the Photos app, there is no tab for "All Photos." However, if you right-click any photo, you can choose, "Show in All Photos" and the expected "All Photos" functionality is displayed.
You can also set up a smart album, call it "All Photos" and use search criteria "Date Captured is after 1/1/1970".

Hope that helps.
Brian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.