Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
In the People section of Photos, some people have a black bar at the bottom portion of the face. Most others do not. Is there a difference between the two?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The black bar ones are people you have not added a name for. Once you click add and allow it to look for their photos, you will see the bar go away and they move to the row up top.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
The black bar ones are people you have not added a name for. Once you click add and allow it to look for their photos, you will see the bar go away and they move to the row up top.
That's the weird thing, it has the black bars for ones with names too. Most of them are with black bars with names.

dougbilski

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I was wondering the exact same thing - can't figure out the pattern! ALL of my people with dark bars are named, and when I try to confirm additional photos for those named people, I don't get any results. It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out what it signifies. A small issue, I know - but I can't find any reference to what it might mean.

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
I wondered about this too yesterday and I think I figured it out. Some have black bars because the background may make the name's white font obscured, that's why it automatically adds black bar to make the names readable. Try change the key photo to something else you think won't obstruct the white font, and you'll see that the black bar will disappear.

Reactions: Weaselboy

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I wondered about this too yesterday and I think I figured it out. Some have black bars because the background may make the name's white font obscured, that's why it automatically adds black bar to make the names readable. Try change the key photo to something else you think won't obstruct the white font, and you'll see that the black bar will disappear.
After using the People section, most of the black bars are gone, EXCEPT for one of my People. I checked for additional photos and it finds none, so I'm not sure why it still has black bars.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
The black bars are annoying. It does seem to only be used in cases where photos detects the background might make the name hard to read but sometimes it adds a black bar when the background is already dark.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
The black bars are annoying. It does seem to only be used in cases where photos detects the background might make the name hard to read but sometimes it adds a black bar when the background is already dark.
oh wow, is that really the reason for the black bars? I did notice as I mark key photos that the black bars would appear and disappear and I did not know why. It was random, so it must be it. Ironically, the picture with a white tshirt doesn't have black bars. Doesn't seem to work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.