Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoidberg79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Hello all,

Before I start here are the specs of my iMac:

El Cap 10.11.4
Photos.app Version 1.5 (370.42.0)

Late 2012 i7
16GB Ram
3TB Fusion
GTX680MX 2GB
First Gen Trackpad (Recently replaced batteries)
Apple USB keyboard with Num pad

I was looking through my Photos.app library and came across some photos that need to be rotated 90º. I strongly remember that I used to do this in iPhoto using the "rotate" gesture on my Magic Trackpad.

I tried this but no luck. I did some googling and found several references in Apples own documentation that you can do the rotate gesture in Photos.app. In fact, it is listed as a feature in the Photos.app help menu.

In order to make sure the problem was not with how I was doing the gesture I opened a photo in Preview and could rotate it all day long. No problem.

My question, has anyone else managed to get the rotate gesture to work on Photos.app??

Please note that I KNOW you can rotate in the edit menu but I would prefer the lazy old way of using the rotate gesture.

All comments welcome.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I think it got the axe, like many features in the new app. The help only refers to the regular rotation:
  • Control-click the photo and choose Rotate Clockwise.

• Double-click the photo, click Edit in the toolbar, then click the Rotate button
    IL_Rotate.png

You can rotate the photo multiple times to orient it the way you want.
You can also use ⌘ + R for counterclockwise and ALT + ⌘ + R for clockwise rotation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.