Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I have noticed that the Photos app in iOS 17 thus far has been very slow indeed at saving/applying edits to ‘live’ photos with 'portrait' mode applied on a 15 Pro Max. Feels like a budget phone in this regard.

A fix likely requires quite a lot of rewriting/rearchitecting within the Photos engine to leverage the new chip perhaps…not sure. That’s the only reason I can think of why it’s still so slow at this task so late into the iOS 17 development cycle.

Looking forward to this fix but I think it’s maybe an edge case - not sure too many people use Live Photos with portrait mode applied as it can only be achieved on iPhone 15s (otherwise the user can only user either Live Photos OR Portrait mode, not both together).

It's also possible that that the bug where the user cannot share (email, message, airdrop etc.) photos directly after they have been taken/edited for a prolonged period (could be hours) might be related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.