Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Hi,
on Macbook7,1, using dosdude1 patcher, i upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina.Most of stuff went smooth and mac works quite ok with one big exception.
Photos app doesnt work as expected, as photos and videos became not available.

Thumbnails are grey and after clicking on them, I can see details, but instead of photo, there's a white rectangular:

Similar with video, but after trying to open it, there's a comment that there has been an error:
Could not open video.
Photos app can't open this video; resource is unavailable.
(im translating this from polish UI)

I can't export videos or photos - following error shows up:

I can't open video in Quicktime:
An error occurred while preparing an external edit.

This operation cannot be completed. (Error Cocoa -1.)

After righclicking in finder on library file and selecting Show package content, I cannot see Masters folder, but can see others, including originals

I tried to repair gallery but this doesnt change anything. I tried opening another library file (from NAS backup that i did) - same thing. Similarly, in office i have exactly the same Mac where i did update from Mojave to Catalina and this libary can't be opened. File is 30GB big.

When upgrading, I needed to convert file system from HSF+ to APFS and this might have caused the problem, that i can't solve now.

I would appreciate any tips and tricks,

Qlex

qlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Hi guys,
just to update, i have downgraded to High Sierra (that i originally came from), restored the photos app library file from NAS back to mac and opened photos app trying to use that library file.

Unfortunatelly an error appeared about unsupported library and that i should update Photos app to use it.

Any pointers? Am i now stuck without all my photos?

qlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Does any1 have a solution. I lost access to a big collection of family photos.
It was working on High Sierra (HSF+), after upgrade to Catalina (upgraded to APFS), when i opened photos, it didn't load thumbnails and i couldnt open a single photos. Now after i downgraded to High Sierra (formated drive back to HSF+), it tells me i should upgrade Photos app, as the library file is not supported.

What can i do now? Would it help if I upgraded to Catalina again, but staying with HSF+ ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.