Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porg

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
After many months I found a solution for my particular cause, which may also apply to some of you:

✅ Re-enable System Integrity Protection (SIP) and/or uninstall 3rd party Kernel extension(s)

After that Apple Photos' curation and face detection started to work normally again. All the photos imported since photoanalysisd was stuck meanwhile properly got curation, face-detection and scene/object-detection added.

Posted on StackExchange and reposted to Apple Community Discussions and here at MacRumors.

Maybe helpful to some of you!

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I just found out the reason and solution for this issue. It works on MacOS photos (I'm using Catalina public beta).
The reason behind this was Face recognition. Just manually match the people, stay on the "people" tab, leave it idle, then after the process finishes, the curation will also complete in a moment.
Did some searching on the inter-webs and found a lot of people waiting days, weeks, and in some cases MONTHS for this task to complete. There is no way everyday users are waiting weeks for this to complete.

Found this reply, and worked through only my "favorited" people - BAM - task completed!

I'm on a 2023 Mac mini with the latest OS release: Ventura 13.1.1.

Reactions: roronl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.