Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all

after becoming quite disgruntled with retrieving files from iPhoto (managed) many moons ago, I'm revisiting the latest incarnation of the Photos App. I have imported all Jpegs into this as a managed library and even found the "add name" function to tagging people by their names. I'm struggling however to see how two or more names of people can be tagged with the one photo. Is this even possible? Using the latest version of Photos (8.0) with Ventura.

Cheers

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Hi all

after becoming quite disgruntled with retrieving files from iPhoto (managed) many moons ago, I'm revisiting the latest incarnation of the Photos App. I have imported all Jpegs into this as a managed library and even found the "add name" function to tagging people by their names. I'm struggling however to see how two or more names of people can be tagged with the one photo. Is this even possible? Using the latest version of Photos (8.0) with Ventura.

Cheers

Yeah, it's a bit hidden. When viewing a photo, bring up the "get info" panel (⌘I). There's a button in there to add faces. Once you do that it'll plop down a little circle and then you have to drag it to the right face(s).

Theoretically once you do this a few times it *should* start recognizing the people you're tagging.
Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 3.47.57 PM.png

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Yeah, it's a bit hidden. When viewing a photo, bring up the "get info" panel (⌘I). There's a button in there to add faces. Once you do that it'll plop down a little circle and then you have to drag it to the right face(s).

Theoretically once you do this a few times it *should* start recognizing the people you're tagging.
View attachment 2219103
Never ever would I have thought to look there for adding aditional faces, so thank you for that. Oddly the GetInfo window opens dead smack in the middle of the photo and cannot be dragged/ moved out of the way. Just tried adding two names (two people) and there was the free-text box for one showing but not the other, obscured by GetInfo. I'll play with it further and see next round when adding names.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The whole faces thing could use a huge overhaul. A lot of useful stuff is just buried or obscure.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
The whole faces thing could use a huge overhaul. A lot of useful stuff is just buried or obscure.
Was taken aback that the duplicate finding function only occurs whilst connected to a charger. Why Apple! I would have used a referenced library but absolutely love the slide show candy that Photos puts together.

My RAWS will remain to be on disc with CP1 referenced and final edited files (small) also imported into the same library. Or maybe a second Photos library just for those but perhaps not. Managing two libraries makes things more difficult with searches.

Any other hidden stuff/ advice you can think of with Photos? Tbh that adding faces bit was already great and not something found in Apple's documentation. I looked and searched before starting this thread.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
My RAWS will remain to be on disc with CP1 referenced and final edited files (small) also imported into the same library. Or maybe a second Photos library just for those but perhaps not. Managing two libraries makes things more difficult with searches.

I do the same. My Olympus E-M1 is set to JPEG+RAW, but I throw out 99.9% of the RAW files. The remaining few I process in Adobe Camera RAW, set aside in another folder then output as JPEGs and re-import into Photos. Truly using them very selectively as digital negatives, but only for the best of the best.

Any other hidden stuff/ advice you can think of with Photos? Tbh that adding faces bit was already great and not something found in Apple's documentation. I looked and searched before starting this thread.
I can't think of any off the top of my head. The geo-tagging features do make it much easier to find things!

Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.