Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Yet again more apple craziness!
I took videos on my iphone 13 pro.
My friend does not have icloud or imessage.
So I have to now upload to my mac, then drag to a folder, then wetransfer, but of cousre becuase it's apple i can't just drag into a folder then email, oh no, i have to go via photos only!
One video is taking 40 mins.

OK so apple is all about media and supporting creativs and videos, so how are you all actually managing here?! Are iphone not mant to be good for videographers?!

What is the actual way to do this?!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
From my iPad, I click the Share icon, choose Mail, and send it. I don't share videos via iCloud or Messages.

This page from the iPhone User Guide shows details:

The steps given there are pretty much how I do it on my iPad.

That page came up near the top of my search results for keywords:
iphone share video guide

Reactions: mrk123

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
MAC 2011 - 16GB RAM - 1TB SSD - IPHONE 13 PRO.

I really hate how, just to gt photos from my phone to a folder i can stick in am external drive I have to go via photos app.

Just got back from a trip, 700n photos... I want to bag them up and put safe on my hard drive, i havr just plugged my iphone into mac pro via cable, i had to import them all into photos app, then drag all of those into a folder on my desktop, then from there into extrnal drive. Bit of a joke?

Judging from the current speed it may take 4 hours?!
What is going on?!
Is this really peak Apple? Serioulsy? How are media pro people doing this if this is their job?!
Can someone enlighten me?!
I aint got time for this!
What about video when the time comes to put that in folders ready to use?!

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
"
  • Click the Import To pop-up menu at the bottom of the window, then choose where to save the images or to create a PDF or a webpage that contains them.
    To download images to another location, choose Other, then choose a location."

Just tried, none of it working?!
I just freezes, there is no "add to folder" on my deskop.... only thing i can do is drag from photos into folder on desktop?!

Surely this is not this complicatd?!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
i had to import them all into photos app, then drag all of those into a folder on my desktop, then from there into extrnal drive. Bit of a joke?
No, you don't have to. Just use Image Capture and you can save them directly onto your external drive.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
No, you don't have to. Just use Image Capture and you can save them directly onto your external drive.
is this 'image capture' available on high sierra? I cant find it and can;t find any kind of downloadabl app?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Image Capture should be present by default on any macOS version, including High Sierra.

It should be located in either the main Applications folder, or the Utilities sub-folder therein. It's historically been in Applications, but it may have moved to Utilities on recent OS versions.

To open the main Applications folder in Finder, choose Applications from Finder's "Go" menu.
To open the Utilities folder, choose Utilities from the "Go" menu.

If you don't see an Image Capture app in either of those locations, please post a screenshot or a listing of what is in both those locations. If absent, you may have an incomplete or damanged OS installation.

On the broader question of finding apps on your Mac, do you normally use Spotlight?

If so, and it didn't show you the Image Capture app in its normal location, then you may need to rebuild the Spotlight index.

Reactions: mrk123

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Ah it has worked now. Wow an apple product that actually works!

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Well this is a bit dumb, it has included for every single image (which is HEIC not JPG) it has included MOV files for every single image, it's from the 'live' feature, how do I get around this?! I just need my images!? It has also inclided AAE files which are the small text files which include the edit information.... this can't be happening surely?! It has also included unedited photos.. On my phone i only have edited pics, but this transfer has included all the images i have on my phone but as they were before I edited them, even tho i dont have the undedited ones on my phone?!
No way, is this really happening? Apple, serioulsy?

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Now that you're using Image Capture, this is becoming a topic more suited to the Photography forum.

Your questions about Image Capture or other aspects of managing iPhone photo transfers may get a larger or more experienced audience there.

If you want to move your thread there, please use the Report button and ask for your thread to be moved. A moderator will move it for you.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Now that you're using Image Capture, this is becoming a topic more suited to the Photography forum.

Your questions about Image Capture or other aspects of managing iPhone photo transfers may get a larger or more experienced audience there.

If you want to move your thread there, please use the Report button and ask for your thread to be moved. A moderator will move it for you.
Thanks, I will start a new thread... This one is just me rambling at Tim!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.