Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
So Craig previewed a Photos app today that's supposed to be out next year.

interested to see if this replaces iPhoto or compliments it.

Some Pics:

14330853981_eb2b123d45_b.jpg

14333454854_3550446cc6_b.jpg

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So Craig previewed a Photos app today that's supposed to be out next year.

interested to see if this replaces iPhoto or compliments it.

Some Pics:

I was thinking about this same subject earlier today and it now appears that Apple has three separate photo apps. It feels like it's getting crowded, but I would like to think that iPhoto will continue to serve a purpose and complement iCloud Photos.

First though, I must say I'm absolutely thrilled that the Photos app is finally coming to OS X. I've been sending constant feedback to Apple begging for separate media apps for a long while now and I'm happy to see them finally doing it. It also seems like a much more elegant approach to what Photostream tried to accomplish, but in my opinion ended up being more confusing to the end user (I still don't understand to this day why I had to take up twice the storage space by saving duplicate photos to the camera roll, and then again locally via Photostream for every single photo I took with my iPhone). Come to think of it, I don't even think a single mention of the name "Photostream" popped up at the Keynote yesterday and neither can I find it on Apple's preview site, so I'm certain iCloud Photos has to be its logical successor.

Anyway, as for iPhoto, it's still the app to go to if you want to actually get creative with your photos with custom physical cards, calendars, and books. But I'm still curious myself as to how Apple will update actually iPhoto in the future to help differentiate it more as a creative app apart from iCloud Photos.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Anyway, as for iPhoto, it's still the app to go to if you want to actually get creative with your photos with custom physical cards, calendars, and books. But I'm still curious myself as to how Apple will update actually iPhoto in the future to help differentiate it more as a creative app apart from iCloud Photos.

The far right tab of Photos in the pictures about says "Projects", books, calendars etc. are also under Projects in iPhoto so they could turn up there.

Hope they don't remove Faces and Places :(

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm probably more excited for this than anything else we saw yesterday. Well maybe this and iCloud Drive.

My workflow for photos has been driving me crazy. Every few weeks manually importing to iPhoto from my iPhone, and essentially all photos & videos sit in a library on one Mac. iPhoto feels so sluggish when it runs (and the library is sitting on an SSD).

I would love to have full visibility to a photo library from every device going forward. Would be great to edit or create an album on the iPhone or iPad and have it updated across all devices.

Really can't wait to see the technical details behind it all. I wouldn't mind to see Photos replace iPhoto permanently.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'd assume that Photos will replace iPhoto entirely and will hopefully be the basis of a new, leaner Aperture a la FCP X.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My guess is that Photos will replace iPhoto and that users wanting a more prosumer app will be pushed towards Aperture.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I believe it is safe to assume that it will replace iPhoto.

The question that I have is will it be possible to use the new Photo app without the cloud? I hope that you can use the new app with a non-Cloud file.

I have several friends who would not pay money to use the cloud or do not trust the cloud.

My guess is the new app will work with the standard filesystem. Pages and numbers will work with the standard filesystem. You not have to use the cloud.

albbreinholt

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Faces

If photos does take over for iPhoto do you think we will lose faces or will it go to photos? Am I the only one that still uses faces?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'd assume that Photos will replace iPhoto entirely and will hopefully be the basis of a new, leaner Aperture a la FCP X.

My guess is that Photos will replace iPhoto and that users wanting a more prosumer app will be pushed towards Aperture.

I agree. The trend to replace the old 'i'-apps has been in place since 10.8, when iChat was replaced with Messages and iCal with Calendar. I wouldn't be surprised if Photos would be the eventual replacement for iPhoto, and Aperture would remain as a pro app.

Side note, when the heck will Aperture get updated!? I can't believe the last major update was in 2010.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
If photos does take over for iPhoto do you think we will lose faces or will it go to photos? Am I the only one that still uses faces?

In my digging in Yosemite it seems that the underlying system that will be syncing the iCloud Photos is built to support all the same base functions of iPhoto, Faces, Places, Albums, Projects, etc.

Just no UI currently for them.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Safe to say it will definitely replace iPhoto.

Photos on iPhone
Photos on iPad
Photos on the Mac
Photos on iCloud

Everything, all the time, all the same. Photos and Videos.

I'm guessing the iCloud Photos will store everything in full quality.

Photos on the Mac will attempt to download and store/backup everything.

The satellite devices with less storage (iOS devices) will not download everything like the Mac, but instead show you a thumbnail preview with the option to download.

THAT is how photo and video should be handled. Finally Apple. Awesome.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
so we all think iPhoto for iOS is also going away?

Photos reminds me of Adobe Bridge, where iPhoto/Aperture are more like Lightroom. Yes, you can do small edits in Photos, but iPhoto is for actual photo editing and composition. Aperture gives even finer grain control.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
so we all think iPhoto for iOS is also going away?

From 9to5Mac:

Next on the list of notable changes in the iOS 8 beta preview is the lack of support for Apple’s iPhoto image editing software. While some but not all of its featured are now found in the stock Photos app, it seems Apple has intentionally disabled support for iPhoto for iOS at least during the initial iOS 8 beta period.

When prompted to launch, the system displays the dialog box shown above stating that editing and sorting has moved to the Photos app. The Photos app does not, however, match feature parity with iPhoto for iOS so it would be surprising to see it not regain support for iOS 8 before lunch albeit possible with upcoming changes to how photos are managed as we’ve already covered.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/ios-8-lock-screen-app-shortcuts-iphoto-changes-app-store-reviews/

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
The far right tab of Photos in the pictures about says "Projects", books, calendars etc. are also under Projects in iPhoto so they could turn up there.

Hope they don't remove Faces and Places :(

I don't see Places so is it possible that it won't be included in the new Photos app? I really do hope that if Apple isn't adding this to the new Photos app, they'll at least continue to support iPhoto which does have that tab.

----------

Is Apple even planning to update Aperture? So far we've heard nothing about it yet and Adobe is rumoured to be releasing Lightroom 6 later this year.

----------

Safe to say it will definitely replace iPhoto.

Photos on iPhone
Photos on iPad
Photos on the Mac
Photos on iCloud

Everything, all the time, all the same. Photos and Videos.

I'm guessing the iCloud Photos will store everything in full quality.

Photos on the Mac will attempt to download and store/backup everything.

The satellite devices with less storage (iOS devices) will not download everything like the Mac, but instead show you a thumbnail preview with the option to download.

THAT is how photo and video should be handled. Finally Apple. Awesome.

Will the Mac version of Photos be capable of creating web journals? I don't see any indication that the Mac version will inherit this capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.