Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Hi, I imported photos from my digital camera (RAW+JPEG) to my iPhone via the new lightening to SD card reader. After realizing how large the iCloud sync would be (around 8GB), I deleted the photos and also cleared out the "Recently Deleted" folder. However, the phone is still uploading photos to iCloud (about 5GB left). I'm wondering it it's just the RAW files, as I don't see any images in the UI. I've force quit and restart the device a few times in hopes that it would notice i deleted the files and cancel the large upload. Any tips?a

Sid777

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
That happens if you stop the upload process in between. Turning off iCloud Photo Library and then on might fix it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Let the sync finish. The photos won't use any of your iCloud storage space if you deleted them. Eventually they will be purged, but you have to let the upload finish.

The reason why is iCloud Photo Library is implemented as a series of transactions. They must take place in order; this is done to prevent corruption or data loss.

In your case the transactions are:

1) Add 8GB of photos to the library
2) Delete the 8GB of photos
3) Clear out "Recently deleted"

These transactions must complete, in order, now. Photos in "recently deleted" don't count towards your iCloud usage, so no worries about that.

The workaround above, turning off iCloud Photo Library and back on, will stop the 8GB upload, but then your library will need to resync which make take longer. It's up to you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.