Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andre_Seattle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2023
photolibraryd and photoanalysisd use much CPU

Question 1: if you have multiple photo libraries, does Apple's analysis only work on the system photo library or on all photo libraries or only on the library that was last opened?

Question 2: do these processes also analyze video clips in the photo library?

Thanks

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
> Question 1: if you have multiple photo libraries, does Apple's analysis only work on the system photo library or on all photo libraries or only on the library that was last opened?

photoanalysisd analyzes all Photos library found on your system. In my experience, libraries on your system that have not ever been opened in Photos are not analyzed but once they've been opened, photoanlysisd will track them.

> Question 2: do these processes also analyze video clips in the photo library?

Yes. Videos are also analyzed.

I maintain a free open-source command line app osxphotos that can show the information catalogued by photoanalysisd. After you install it, run "osxphotos inspect" which will show metadata, including that catalogued by photoanlysisd for any photo selected in Photos.

Reactions: gilby101 and kitKAC

Andre_Seattle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2023
> Question 1: if you have multiple photo libraries, does Apple's analysis only work on the system photo library or on all photo libraries or only on the library that was last opened?

photoanalysisd analyzes all Photos library found on your system. In my experience, libraries on your system that have not ever been opened in Photos are not analyzed but once they've been opened, photoanlysisd will track them.

> Question 2: do these processes also analyze video clips in the photo library?

Yes. Videos are also analyzed.

I maintain a free open-source command line app osxphotos that can show the information catalogued by photoanalysisd. After you install it, run "osxphotos inspect" which will show metadata, including that catalogued by photoanlysisd for any photo selected in Photos.
Appreciate your reply. I just looked at osxphotos . Very nice! Very well documented. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.