Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have the opposite problem. Why aren't my cables fraying?!
me7aqavy.jpg

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
I have to say that I have only ever had one cable fray, it was the power adaptor on my 1st gen 17" macbook pro, which I think was the first magsafe machines
apple replaced is free of charge with a revised version which had a sleeve to stop it bending.

I've had iPhones since the iPhone one, dock connectors since the click wheel iPod and all of them have been absolutely fine

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
With the EU wanting to standardise mobile connectors and from what I've seen of the new USB design, I can easily see the reversible USB connector becoming he standard for mobile connectors. It even looks like Lightning yet it's a standard connection.

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA
The cable as shown isn't really reversible ... it just has to ports that can plug in. Which means it isn't compatible with most USB ports. I hope this is a joke.

LucasO166

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
I work in Apple retail myself. And registered here just to call out your comment.

If you actually work in retail, you will know they don't just "stop working". They wire comes loose under the wire housing near the lightning connector.

This is for one of two reason. Either the cable is mishandled by tugging the cable to remove it from an iDevice, rather than using the white nib to remove it.

Or, when people are storing the cables, they are not cable tying them correctly (if at all), and the cable is receiving too much strain. Typical example is just stuffing a cable into a handbag.

If you genuinely work at an Apple store, and you're also having lightning cable issues, I would maybe book yourself in for an appointment at the bar and speak to one of your colleagues (because you obviously haven't already) and get yourself educated to manage your cables better. I would be very surprised if you are having lightning cable issues and you work at an Apple store.

Also, saying "very, very lucky" almost proves to me you don't work at an Apple store, of the tens of millions of lightning cables that are in the wild, and the portion that comes back into your store, i would say you have to be extremely, extremely unlucky to have an issue. Let alone an employee.

How is the best way to store an apple cable? (in my pocket) :eek:

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
The cable as shown isn't really reversible ... it just has to ports that can plug in. Which means it isn't compatible with most USB ports. I hope this is a joke.

The area in the middle is thin enough that it is reversible. Think about it. It's not standard, but it's reversible.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Someone doesn't understand this story at all.

Let me break it down for you to understand.. Stores sell alarm clocks, stereos, and gadgets with a specific adapter plug to fit your phone model. If you buy a phone with a different plug (lightning, 30 pin, etc) then that phone can no longer be plugged into your gadget. I can be more specific if you need me too ;-)

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA

logics8

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
But will the data transfer speeds to the computer for backups and what not still be extremely slow?

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Aah, I see. Think it will survive "rough" treatment, being that thin in the middle?

PCBs are pretty tough. They're made of fiberglass. I think it's possible it will be slightly more delicate, but it's pretty well protected by the metal casing.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Let me break it down for you to understand.. Stores sell alarm clocks, stereos, and gadgets with a specific adapter plug to fit your phone model. If you buy a phone with a different plug (lightning, 30 pin, etc) then that phone can no longer be plugged into your gadget. I can be more specific if you need me too ;-)

I was right. You don't understand. This article isn't about the phone-end of the cable. It's about the USB end of the cable. The cable still is lightning on the other end, where it plugs into the phone. So the phone doesn't have "a different plug."

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
I was right. You don't understand. This article isn't about the phone-end of the cable. It's about the USB end of the cable. The cable still is lightning on the other end, where it plugs into the phone. So the phone doesn't have "a different plug."

Well thank you so much for clarifying..

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Photos Claiming to Be of New Lightning Cable with Reversible USB Connector Su...

same, hate them. two of mine are already an exposed dangerous mess (they still work but i am just waiting for the day i get electrocuted). meanwhile the old ones from my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are still working perfectly without any exposed wires.

also i am very "anal" about those kind of things, like the cable of my macbook pro and the iPad still have the plastic on it.

2nlzbcl.jpg

So much useless FUD.

You wont. See those exposed pins on the plug in, have those electrocuted anyone yet?

It is low voltage DC.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
same, hate them. two of mine are already an exposed dangerous mess (they still work but i am just waiting for the day i get electrocuted). meanwhile the old ones from my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are still working perfectly without any exposed wires.

I wish I could send these posts back in time to all the obnoxious arrogant people that insisted Lightning was 10x better than mini or micro-USB connectors (i.e. standards instead of propriety). The sun's not looking so bright on that side of the pond, after all. :D

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I wish I could send these posts back in time to all the obnoxious arrogant people that insisted Lightning was 10x better than mini or micro-USB connectors (i.e. standards instead of propriety). The sun's not looking so bright on that side of the pond, after all. :D

The quality of a particular cable has nothing to do with the convenience or other positive aspects of the connector. Even the people who hate apple lightning cables admit that cables from other sources (e.g. amazon) are fine.

Cool-Story-Bro

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Same here, 2 iPhone 5s, and a 4th Gen iPad, original cables still just fine, maybe touch dingy - well used, taken on trips, used in cars, packed in computer bags, etc.

I suppose there’s a wide range of how they’re used, I guess we’re moderately careful, pull from the connector (vs. the cable), etc.

When I picked up a Moshi Lightening cable I scored it in black (I believe the Amazon basic Lightening cables are black too). Definitely won’t get discolored/dingy like the white OEM cables.

Solid cable too (though the same price as Apple, I had a gift card :) )

Thanks D.T. I checked Amazon and those Moshi cables look solid. I like that they feature metal ends. I'll definitely be ordering a couple of these for the "6". http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-Lightni...8134450&sr=8-2&keywords=moshi+lightning+cable

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Working in Apple retail, the most common complaint (many many times a day) is that the Lightning cables have stopped working. They don't last for most people, myself included, and you are very lucky.

Most likely they *do* last for most people. If most of them were failing, even on something as cheap as cables, it would have a severe effect on the bottom line, and the issue would be rectified.

Your (likely unconscious) bias comes from largely dealing with the portion of the population for whom the cable didn't last.

----------

Are you my wife? Because she beats the crap out of all her cables and shrugs her shoulders at me like she doesn't know how they got that way. I've got cables 10 years old that look like they're were recently unwrapped.

In summary, I take care of my stuff. Sheesh.

I'm in exactly the same boat. My wife goes through her iPod/iPhone cables like they're made of tissue paper. I'm on my second iPhone charging cable at home, and that's only because the prior one (a 30-pin) doesn't work with my 5S.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks D.T. I checked Amazon and those Moshi cables look solid. I like that they feature metal ends. I'll definitely be ordering a couple of these for the "6". http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-Lightni...8134450&sr=8-2&keywords=moshi+lightning+cable

Cool. The build quality seems outstanding, but Moshi products are almost always very nice.

FYI, these are the Amazon Basics Lightening cables:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...&sr=1-1&keywords=amazonbasics+lightning+cable

They’re a bit cheaper, and they have three sizes. Some reviews mention the size of the housing can be an issue with some cases (YMMV).

No personal experience, but I have used some Amazon Basics audio cable/components and they were excellent.

Of course, both Moshi and Amazon are official so no issues, no worries :cool:

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
I don't know why USB needs a new connector for both sides use. Do you remember the osx install stick bundled with first gen macbookair? that can be inserted in both sides but on one side there are no pins. If you put pins on both sides its a reversible USB connector compatible with all old ports...

Right, but then you wouldn't need to change all your old hardware (including the one in your car)... ;)

I heard that next year will be the return of "FW400 SuperHiSpeed 2"... or is it the "SCSI HyperFast connect 4"... Can't remember...

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
So these new cables aren't going to work on any of our macs right? I just bought a new MBP retina 15" yesterday.

This would be for future unreleased macs? In my system profile it says USB 3.0 nothing about 3.1.

Are these new USB backwards compatible or do I have 3.1?

How? Mine are still like new going on a year since I got them.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So these new cables aren't going to work on any of our macs right? I just bought a new MBP retina 15" yesterday.

This would be for future unreleased macs? In my system profile it says USB 3.0 nothing about 3.1.

Are these new USB backwards compatible or do I have 3.1?

They will work. And it has nothing to do with 3.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.