Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
A challenge for the global team .... !!!!!

I have been using iPhone X 256gb without issue for 6 months, then bought iPhone XS Max 512gb. I thought the process to move between phones would be easy ....
Backup the iPhone x using iTunes
Restore the backup to iPhone XS Max, using iTunes - all should be good?????

Both phones were brand new, no problems, never dropped etc ...

Main issue is that of the 12,000 images on the iPhone x, only 8,000 images came across - the other 4,000 images that were supposed to come across are blank white / grey tiles ... you can't open them or see them

So the image count is the same, just that you can't open 4,000 images on the XS Max.

If you Airdrop the missing images between the phones, it works, just don't want to do it 4,000 times as easy to mess it up. And the new images don't show up in the correct date / Album etc

Don't want to use iCloud as don't want my stuff on other peoples servers - and it is over 50gb

Have been trying to get help from Apple for almost a month without success so far - anyone have any ideas?

Just did some extra testing and it seems that iPhone XS Max is the problem - have taken 50 or so photos on the XS Max, and about 10% randomly don't copy across to the PC - error message says that ' It appears that we don't support this format' - but if you look at the copied across image it is a .jpg and there are no weird characters in the filename

And for movies a similar message is displayed. 'This file isn’t playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt.' (For a .mov file)

Thanks

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Another option would have been be to copy them to photos on a Mac or MacBook

Then use Photos to sync or copy them back to another phone

This would also give you the option to back up the library on a separate disk if you wanted a back up.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
If I had that many photos I would have used iTunes for the back up and restore. It is much quicker and complete when encrypted.
I did use iTunes to backup iPhone X, and then iTunes to restore to iPhone XS Max, result is that I have approx 4,000 white tiles / missing images - and Apple still have been able to tell me what is wrong / how long it will take for a solution

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I did use iTunes to backup iPhone X, and then iTunes to restore to iPhone XS Max, result is that I have approx 4,000 white tiles / missing images - and Apple still have been able to tell me what is wrong / how long it will take for a solution

I would reset my phone to factory and try using the backup again to see if maybe a glitch occurred the first time. If that does not work you are likely SOL.

Also when you plug your phone into your computer you have an opportunity to back up just the images to your computer hard drive. 12,000 images is a LOT of images!

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
Another option would have been be to copy them to photos on a Mac or MacBook

Then use Photos to sync or copy them back to another phone

This would also give you the option to back up the library on a separate disk if you wanted a back up.

Would love to do that, but my MacBook Pro doesn't have enough room - the phone photos are over 50gb alone, so would have to shuffle off the MacBook first - and that is not how it is supposed to work, backup / restore should be simple and accurate, not a manual process where the chance for error is much greater. This is probably my last resort, given that I have waited for Apple for almost a month without success.

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
I would reset my phone to factory and try using the backup again to see if maybe a glitch occurred the first time. If that does not work you are likely SOL.

Also when you plug your phone into your computer you have an opportunity to back up just the images to your computer hard drive. 12,000 images is a LOT of images!

I reset iPhone XS Max back to factory, and with Apple support also did a deep reset to clear all settings, then updated to latest version software on iPhone and iTunes (which I did before the whole process was started) did a fresh backup and fresh restore without success. Apple installed a User Profile to the iPhone XS Max and extracted all the logs, also did the same to the laptop, so they have over 450mb of log files, but still no solution ....

The number of images is from v3 iPhones I have used over the years and dragged my photo history with me, work photos, holiday pics, family pics etc - lots of precious memories. But this time the backup / restore process has not been successful. I still have the images on iPhoneX but the new owner is not happy that I am still holding it pending transfer to XS Max.

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
I had the same issue and had to cut my phone off for a few minutes and then the photos started to restore.

I haven't been so lucky, they don't come over at all - I have checked the blank tiles carefully, and they are still blank. Apple said it can take up to 24hrs, but didn't happen, now 3 over weeks later, still no luck.
[doublepost=1551789206][/doublepost]
Does not look good. Good Luck.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Would love to do that, but my MacBook Pro doesn't have enough room - the phone photos are over 50gb alone, so would have to shuffle off the MacBook first - and that is not how it is supposed to work, backup / restore should be simple and accurate, not a manual process where the chance for error is much greater. This is probably my last resort, given that I have waited for Apple for almost a month without success.

It’s pretty straightforward to move a library onto an external disk (or create a new one), for example a cheap 500g disc - at least you would have a back up - not just on the phone - what happens if you lose the phone or it is stolen?

XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
i actually have another iTunes backup of the iPhoneX on another laptop, and that laptop is backed up to 2 external drives - so have that covered. The main issue for me is that I havn'y been able to move the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max

travishk

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Did apple solve the problem?
I have the same problem when I restore my iPhone SE and restore backup from iTunes, almost all photos and videos turned to blank white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.