Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
So I have a large icloud library of photos - more than 69k of them. As soon as Apple announced that iOS 10 would have new photo library features, I figured it was going to take a while for these to settle down on my phone and ipad, so I'm not surprised they're still indexing etc, and the "memories" aren't up to much right now.

But here's what I don't get. This is an icloud photo library. It's supposed to be unified across all my devices. For the past year it's bothered me that none of the face matching I'd done on my Mac was shown on my iPhone and iPad, so when I heard that iOS 10 contained face recognition for photos I naturally assumed this was now being put right. But no!

My iPad Air, and my iPhone 6S, are both independently trawling through my library trying to find faces. Since the iPhone is newer and faster, it's found more and I've been able to play with it a bit, name and merge people. So my iPhone has a pretty good handle on who is who - but NONE of this means anything to my iPad. That's still trawling through separately and looks set to expect me to name everyone again, on that device. Please tell me it isn't so!

Surely - SURELY - all of this is going to get synced across icloud, right?? I don't really now have three devices - iphone, ipad and Mac (typically one too old to get Sierra) all doing their own thing?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I would say there are some issues with syncing at the moment. I've had the same 68 photos waiting to upload since yesterday afternoon. It's never been this slow.

I guess Apple got hammered with traffic the last 24 hours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.