Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone know how to, or what to use to get AVCHD into Photos for Mac? I'm running latest MacOS High Sierra v10.13.2 , and Photos for Mac latest v3.

It used to import fine on iPhoto. I've been waiting and waiting for Photos for Mac to get this removed feature back, it's now at v3 and still no where to be seen.

It's video from my Digi Cam. Rather not convert it, I use iCloud photo library so I want it imported for backup.

Is there an easy way, heard of converters, but dont really want to have to do that. Ideally I want to import and get it backed up on iCloud Photo library, I'm on top tier so want it all on here first.

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You didn't tell us which version of the OS you're using (that's important).
Is it one of the newer ones which comes with Photos? (instead of iPhoto).

You do know that there is still a version of iPhoto that will run under the latest Mac OS?
(version 9.6.1).
Chances are you can't get it from Apple (I know that sounds ridiculous).
But... there are (cough, choke) other ways to get it, if you really want it.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sorry edited post, all latest as of today. I dont want to use iPhoto though now, been too long and dont want mess around now its all in Photos for Mac.

I just want to do what I used to in iPhoto, and Apple haven't added it back, even though been years now and v3. There must be others having this problem as I believe a lot have AVCHD from their cameras?

Last edited:

p8blr

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Wichita, KS
I'd be interested to see what you find out. My Sony A7 records AVCHD format as well and the best solution I found was using the default mp4 settings in Handbrake. I know you didn't want to convert, but Handbrake might be worth a shot, at least as a last resort.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There are a number of free AVCHD converters for mac in the app store, if thats what you are looking for. They all seem to work about the same. I went with a paid app over year ago because I needed features to deal with video errors better than the free stuff, so I may be way out of date.

I think iPhoto would transcode the video to something it could work with on import anyway.
[doublepost=1514927891][/doublepost]Did you try importing directly form the camera, I understand some makes of cameras provide that function, where others don't, i.e issues with AVCHD seems to be camera specific. Some set their cameras to mp4 mode to get around the quirks with AVCHD.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Don't want to convert ideally as iPhoto imported direct...I think.

I already have a decent converter, iVi which can but I thought direct import to Photos for Mac would be better.

I've found an app that "rewraps" (whatever that means technically!), but it's a €50 purchase, called clipwrap and knowing my luck I'd buy it, it wouldn't do what I want, and then Photos for Mac would support AVCHD!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
What format is the video files in the cloud, can you tell? i.e when iPhoto imported did it transcode to mp4 and stored that away in its library.

Sorry, not much help as I don't use those features of photo. I use FCPX for tagging and indexing video, I moved from iMovie to FCPX mostly because of its powerful video media management. I still use Aperture for photos.

I just recall my neighbor awhile ago deciding to switch his camera recording format from AVCHD to mp4 format so it would be more apple compatible. I think he has a Canon, maybe all cameras don't have that feature.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'll try and have a look for older ones I imported, never thought to look thanks!

I don't really want to change to mp4, purely as I think you should record in the best format you can and then convert if have to.

Just trying to find the best solution really. Ideally I want to just stick with one program as well just like it all in one place, I'm a simple man!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
But MP4 is better than AVCHD :) They are just container types for the video bits.
No the quality, frame rate is much higher on AVCHD than mp4, on my camera anyway.

My Sony video cameras record to AVCHD format... I just open it with QuickTime, go to File > Export and export the file to a .mov...

What version of QT, what version of MacOS?

Doesn't doing this make the file size increase by a large margin?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
What version of QT, what version of MacOS?

Doesn't doing this make the file size increase by a large margin?

Not sure what "a large margin" is... I'm running Sierra... shoot in 1080p and export to 720p which is more than adequate for my purposes... my shoots are about 90 minutes long and I get file sizes around 2.0 - 2.3 GB.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Not sure what "a large margin" is... I'm running Sierra... shoot in 1080p and export to 720p which is more than adequate for my purposes... my shoots are about 90 minutes long and I get file sizes around 2.0 - 2.3 GB.
I meant what size was the file in AVCHD fornat first, then after QT export what size are they. I think they go much larger after the QT export that's all

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
No the quality, frame rate is much higher on AVCHD than mp4, on my camera anyway.

Thats strange, must be a quirk with your camera, the neighbors and mine have the same frame rates and no difference in quality (Both containers contain compressed video). Maybe you should be looking at a better camera :)

AVCHD - 1080: 59.94P / 59.94i / PF29.97 / 23.98P
MP4 - 1080: 59.94P / 29.97P / 23.98P; 720 and 360: 29.97P / 23.98P

Now different camera makers have different sometimes incompatible implementations of the trademarked AVCHD container as the standard is not that precise, but quality is the same. I'm guessing Apple is not wanting to pay all the different camera makers for the right to their implementation.

My EOS doesn't bother with AVCHD. It uses a MOV container.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Ah ok will double check, so what's the point in having AVCHD then? I think it has smaller file sizes

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I meant what size was the file in AVCHD fornat first, then after QT export what size are they. I think they go much larger after the QT export that's all

IMO, it's a moot issue, as none of the Apple provided photo repositories can handle the format... the video needs to be converted to a compatible format, so any size differences are of no consequence IF one wish to store the video in the Photos/iPhoto repository.

I am not aware of ANY repository that can store AVCHD files in their native format.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
IMO, it's a moot issue, as none of the Apple provided photo repositories can handle the format... the video needs to be converted to a compatible format, so any size differences are of no consequence IF one wish to store the video in the Photos/iPhoto repository.

I am not aware of ANY repository that can store AVCHD files in their native format.

I agree it's just that iPhoto used to and Apple have removed that function and been years and not added it back.

I'm no expert at all, but just remember someone saying record in best quality can and convert later.

Don't think my mp4 quality is same as AVCHD either it's better quality on AVCHD.

There is clipwrap which wraps not converts AVCHD but not sure technically and it's $50

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Btw found specs of video recordings on my Digi-Cam...
AVCHD 1920 x 1080 pixels, 50p (FHD: 28Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 50fps
MP4 1920 x 1080 pixels, 25fps (FHD: 20Mbps / MP4)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
What format is the video files in the cloud, can you tell? i.e when iPhoto imported did it transcode to mp4 and stored that away in its library.
Ok I found an old video that iPhoto imported direct from my camera which was recorded in AVCHD, when I "get info" it shows as below screenshot, if this helps.

It seems to have imported as *.mov file but below the info it has the path? all confusing to me...

Really need this sorted asap, as want to import my videos that I've got stacked up now. I may just have to pay the $50 and get that ClipWrap, although its a little expensive for what I think I use it for. As I say I dont think I should convert al before importing though...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 16.25.17.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 16.25.17.png
    59 KB · Views: 475

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Looks like iphoto assembled the AVCHD segments into a .mov container and saved it to that file path with the original frame rate and resolution. Too bad your camera doesn't support 50fps in mp4, as that would be a lot easier for you.

I think the are several converters in the app store that simply assemble the segments into a .mov file. I've used several. These are GUI over the built in command line tools. If you are handy on the terminal, you can used them directly. I used a paid converter because I need a few features not offered by the apps.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Looks like iphoto assembled the AVCHD segments into a .mov container and saved it to that file path with the original frame rate and resolution. Too bad your camera doesn't support 50fps in mp4, as that would be a lot easier for you.

I think the are several converters in the app store that simply assemble the segments into a .mov file. I've used several. These are GUI over the built in command line tools. If you are handy on the terminal, you can used them directly. I used a paid converter because I need a few features not offered by the apps.
Maybe a newer camera may, but it's enough for me at moment. So iPhoto basically just rewrapped the AVCHD to a *. mov anyway, same as ClipWrap rewrap program?

So you actually convert your AVCHD before importing to Photos for Mac? Which?

So do you think I should just buy the rewrap program and be done? I don't want to mess in terminal rather buy a program for GUI as you say

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I mentioned this above, and I'll restate.

Before you PAY for an app to do "the rewrapping", why don't you just try the free iPhoto 9.6.1 and see if that will do the job for you?

You can import the movies into iPhoto 9.6.1, rewrap them, then move them into Photos.

Why pay, when you can do it for free?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
OP:

I mentioned this above, and I'll restate.

Before you PAY for an app to do "the rewrapping", why don't you just try the free iPhoto 9.6.1 and see if that will do the job for you?

You can import the movies into iPhoto 9.6.1, rewrap them, then move them into Photos.

Why pay, when you can do it for free?

Thanks I did read and responded. I don't want to do a backwards step and use iPhoto now.

Also once converted to Photos for Mac I don't believe the library can be converted back, it was a one way street I think.

Also I wouldn't want to risk any corruption doing it in case, I've spent day's and weeks organising and importing!!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Maybe a newer camera may, but it's enough for me at moment. So iPhoto basically just rewrapped the AVCHD to a *. mov anyway, same as ClipWrap rewrap program?

So you actually convert your AVCHD before importing to Photos for Mac? Which?

So do you think I should just buy the rewrap program and be done? I don't want to mess in terminal rather buy a program for GUI as you say

Thanks

I was just saying that there may be a free app on the app store that does this that meets your needs, but since I haven't shopped for over a year I may not be completely up to speed. Seems to be a lot of options. I think the paid ones offer a free trial to check out. I think, if you feel uncomfortable paying for clipwrap, try all the free ones as well as the free trials and find the one that works best for you. I've read that AVCHD cameras all don't record the same way and one app will work, another may not. Thats what I did last year, but I was looking for something that wouldn't barf on video errors.

I don't use the photos app anywhere except on the iPad for rough editing. I use FCPX for video. For video that may not be pristine I use Biggasoft ProRes converter to convert AVCHD, *.wtv ,*.mts, *.mpg, whatever to a quicktime movie file (*.mov). Its set to use the ProRes422 (HQ) codec at the moment. The HD camera and the HDMI capture card record in *.mp4 format and their video is imported directly into FCPX (the camera's SD card is plugged into the mac for import). Thats my workflow, not the one you use.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Can't find any in app atore, and ones I can are converters.

Don't mind paying for a product that will work, I'm just presuming Apple may add it (hopefully) soon and probably a day after I drop $50 ha ha.

If ClipWrap/EditReady work, I've tried ClipWrap very briefly and seemed to, then I'll buy.

Actually ClipWrap and EditReady have the ProRes422 you mention, whatever that is!

I just chose rewrap *.mov choice and it converted them to about same size as a .Mov.

It allowed to add either AVCHD, .mts direct though seemed to convert fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.