Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sims213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Hi,

I've been wondering if photos from a shared photo stream (the photos in this stream are from an old iPhone 4) will be imported to iCloud Photo Library if I turn this feature on?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Hi,

I've been wondering if photos from a shared photo stream (the photos in this stream are from an old iPhone 4) will be imported to iCloud Photo Library if I turn this feature on?

I don't believe so. I think the photos need to be saved on your device in order to be automatically uploaded to IPL when you enable IPL. From what I understand, Photo Stream photos are stored in the cloud (think of it as a different "cloud", seperate from the IPL cloud) and those images are stored there for 30 days, but they do not get uploaded to IPL when you enable IPL on your device.

I ran into a similar issue as I had all of my photos saved on a Photo Stream in order to save space on my iPhone. I just manually downloaded all of the photos back onto my phone, enabled IPL and uploaded all of the photos to IPL, then used the "optimize" setting with IPL to minimize the space the photos take up on my phone.

If you don't have enough space on your phone to do this I believe you can import all of your photos from a Photo Stream into iPhoto on your Mac, then uploaded those photos to IPL from there.

sims213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Hmm okay, but then there's a problem because I can't save the video from the photo stream to my phone - and if I sync with the computer the time it was taken doesn't import, which is kind of annoying :/

I'm also currently running a Windows pc so I can't use iPhoto

sims213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Problem solved - I downloaded Wireless Transfer App on both devices and transferede the videos that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.