Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Ok this may be a stupid question but how does one access/view one's iCloud Photos library on one's device with iOS?

I have iCloud Photo Library enabled on both my iPhone and Mac.

I of course see my camera roll but not my "cloud" photos.

Thanks

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
They are all on the cloud. The ones you see are backed up on iCloud. They are either at full resolution on your devices or low res (depending if you enabled optimize storage or not). With iCloud photos you can not have separate photos on iCloud that aren't also viewable on you device(s).
If you have optimize storage turned on they won't take up much space and can be downloaded at full resolution when you click on them. When space is needed by your device iOS will clear out your cache.
It's really no different than, say, Google photos. Open the app, thumbnails are there, but after you click on the photo it downloads at full resolution for viewing. Over time, the cache can build up. I think iOS clears this cache occasionally if needed as well.

Reactions: GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If you're deleting photos from your camera roll you're deleting them from iCloud Photo Library btw. Just in case you think you can delete them and they're 'backed up'

slimnickyy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
London
Thanks guys. Maybe I didn't explain right. My issue/problem is, I'm not seeing anything on my phone's Photos app except my camera roll.

I assume you’re logged into iCloud of both iOS and OS X and under the iCloud settings in both you’ve toggled Photos? Further, in that same toggle in iOS (press it) you’ve ticked iCloud photo library and iCloud photo sharing and likewise enabled these two in the settings within Photos.app on OS X? If not, do this and wait a few to see what happens. If already set like this maybe turn photos off on both and on again to reset iCloud. Ensure all your photos are backed up just in case before turning off iCloud photo library on the mac.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Ok that may be it. I do have the photo stream setting off. As my wife and son also have iPhones under the same account. However they have their own separate iCloud accounts.

I had to turn off photo stream at one time as we would get each other's pictures. But that may have been before we had separate iCloud accounts.

By turning it back on, with the seperate iCloud accounts will we not get each other's pictures?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.