Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
So I’ve just got rid on my Macbook Air, I’m now using iPhone, iPad and my gaming PC.
I’ve got loads of snaps from the years that traditionally would have been downloaded to my mac and backed up on Time Machine.

Now I’m not sure what to do having a PC as a main devise where I can control a backup other than pure iCloud.

Options seem to be, iCloud, download to PC via iCloud, download to PC via One Drive.

I’d like to have one new master library be that on the PC or in iCloud.
I also back up the PC files to a NAS.

How would you guys manage this?

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I manually manage backup with OneDrive because I get higher upload speeds and the web UI is better. Stuck with the web UI because I didn't want a local copy on my desktop (have external drive backup).

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm old school but I use an NAS I built from a Linux box. I like being in control of my files, and not having to worry about a service unexpectedly dying (cough **Ubuntu One** cough). Don't trust the 'cloud'.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I'm old school but I use an NAS I built from a Linux box. I like being in control of my files, and not having to worry about a service unexpectedly dying (cough **Ubuntu One** cough). Don't trust the 'cloud'.
Since I am doing media professionally now, I am working on getting my NAS server completed. Then I don't have to rely on the cloud. I do like having access to my personal media on any device, but it's all backed up too.

Reactions: keeper

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
iCloud just works way too good with my Apple devices and especially photos. Perfectly integrated into the ecosystem and no thinking required.

It sucks as a Dropbox, Onedrive etc. replacement, features as a synced storage are still lacking compared to these. Especially using anything else than Apple systems.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iCloud could be a great solution if your full invested in the apple ecosystem. I'm not, I'm currently just storing my images on my data drive. Maybe I'll transition them onto my one rive since I get a terabyte

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
NextCloud is my weapon of choice. You have to set it up yourself, but once you do, works like a charm.
Way cheaper, and works on ANY platform without any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.