Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

se99jmk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
So... I've searched for ages for the perfect photo solution.
  • Dropbox - ideal, but expensive, and messy with two accounts on same laptop
  • iPhoto + Picturelife - sync is a pain to multiple mobile devices, can't access offline on mobile devices (current)

During my hunt, my relatives drove me mad - 1000's upon 1000's of photos, not backed up anywhere! Eek, honestly nearly gave me a heart attack.

Of course now, had I not tried to hack together a solution, new Photo syncing looks like it will be the perfect solution! Combined with Family Sharing, it's going to be the easiest, simplest (and cheapest) solution!!

iPad and iPhone are now in sync - photo order is a mess though, but it does appear to be syncing albums

-----------

So, when is the complete solution likely?
  • iCloud obviously not updated yet (photos on the go, sweet)
  • What would be the best way to get my manicured Events in the mess that is iPhoto into the sync'd set on iPhone and iPad? (Presumably if Apple drops iPhoto - likely - there'll be a way to import the existing database
  • Photos on 10.10 is coming later this year?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
  • Photos on 10.10 is coming later this year?

No, not until 2015.

Being an Aperture user and seeing iPhoto as having too few controls, I've got to play "wait and see" on this. Will Photos be a warmed over iPhoto? Will there be a new Aperture? And do I really want every photo everywhere (I've got family photos going back 90 years)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.