Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danslecarton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Hello,
I didn't know where to post but, since it happens across all my devices (MacBook and iPhone) and it's synched through iCloud I thought it would be most appropriate here.
I have the weird problem that the Photos app keeps merging me into my partners profile. I have to select every photo of my face and reassign it to my profile, only to discover it got merged again right after.
How do I prevent that from happening? Thanks!

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
We both are saved with different numbers and iCloud ID's on my phone if that's what you're after.
did someone get a new phone and other person was given the old one? I know people who have given their device to someone else without wiping it and signing out and signing in and that creates issues.

danslecarton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
did someone get a new phone and other person was given the old one? I know people who have given their device to someone else without wiping it and signing out and signing in and that creates issues.
Nothing like that. It also happened out of nowhere like a month or 2 ago

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
FWIW, I am having the same issue. Photos is apparently convinced that the two people are the same and no matter how many times I correct it, Photos keeps reverting to making these people the same.

theartist123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
UK
FWIW, I am having the same issue. Photos is apparently convinced that the two people are the same and no matter how many times I correct it, Photos keeps reverting to making these people the same.
My photo library does that, my wife and son appear as the same person in the people album - i wondered if their features are too similar so the app can’t separate them......

danslecarton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Oops, sorry for not keeping you up to date! In the meantime I fixed this issue. This is what I did:
  1. Unassign affected persons A and B from every photo they are marked in
  2. Delete person A from contacts
  3. Let Photos and Contacts finish synching with iCloud
  4. Assign photos to person B
  5. Create new contact for person A
  6. Assign photos to person A
It involves a quite a bit of manual labour but I didn't have any problems since! I had a few photos where my phone suggested my partners face for me again, but the more photos I assigned to myself the less photos of my partner got suggested.
I hope this helps and wish you a happy new year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.