Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Craig mentioned that you're phone can display more photos than it can physically store. Can anyone give details on how this works exactly? Is photostream officially gone?

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
And did I hear him say that photo usage now counts against your icloud usage? Photostream didn't count your usage but does this? If so, not cool.

edit: Just saw that it does. Wonder if it's optional to use it or how you upload to iCloud?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Thanks.

But... how does it work? Can I say I want photos to be removed from my iPhone? How do I differentiate between deleting it from my iPhone and deleting it from the cloud?

I imagine it will be transparent. If you delete it from your phone, its gone from everywhere. kinda like Adobe Revel.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I imagine it will be transparent. If you delete it from your phone, its gone from everywhere. kinda like Adobe Revel.
I think so too but I'd like to hear first hand experiences.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There's a lot of important questions and issues with this.

Does Apple really expect us to have iCloud as the main storage location for our photos? Will they provide proper tools so we can keep a complete, 100% local copy?

Imagine if someone could log into your Apple ID and delete your photos. Or if something goes wrong at Apple and your entire collection is destroyed? Being able to store your entire photo library on your own media is MANDATORY!

What about data plan usage? If you take hundreds of photos on a trip, it'll use a chunk of your data plan to upload that to the cloud. Then another chunk to download that to, say, your iPad, and again to your Mac next time you tether. Carrier bills are going to get run up quickly!

What about videos?

This is madness! We need more information. I work in IT; making sure data is safe is part of what I do for a living, and I have all kinds of doubts and concerns about this "iCloud Photos" thing.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
There's a lot of important questions and issues with this.

Does Apple really expect us to have iCloud as the main storage location for our photos? Will they provide proper tools so we can keep a complete, 100% local copy?

Imagine if someone could log into your Apple ID and delete your photos. Or if something goes wrong at Apple and your entire collection is destroyed? Being able to store your entire photo library on your own media is MANDATORY!

What about data plan usage? If you take hundreds of photos on a trip, it'll use a chunk of your data plan to upload that to the cloud. Then another chunk to download that to, say, your iPad, and again to your Mac next time you tether. Carrier bills are going to get run up quickly!

What about videos?

This is madness! We need more information. I work in IT; making sure data is safe is part of what I do for a living, and I have all kinds of doubts and concerns about this "iCloud Photos" thing.

I agree actually, that was partly my issue with an app called camera sync, which auto-uploads your photos to dropbox. Wifi sounds safe in theory, but I connect all my Apple devices with a wifi connection from my MIFI device that has just a 5gb data cap. I had to disable automatic uploads for this reason - it would have burned through my cap very quickly.

Maybe some kind of geofence ability? So it would auto-upload when on wifi and at home, rather than simply being on wifi. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.