Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
This is getting irritating. Lately, the only way I can get my Photos library to update on my M1 Mac mini with Sonoma is to reboot.

For example, I hadn't reboot since April 9, and since then it never updated the Photos library, until I rebooted today. And the only reason I rebooted on April 9 was to get the Photos library to update.

Is there any solution to this?

Cyby-CyberDog

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Create a new Photo Library, make it your system library, enable iCloud Sync.

If photos are missing get PowerPhotos and sync the new and old library.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Create a new Photo Library, make it your system library, enable iCloud Sync.

If photos are missing get PowerPhotos and sync the new and old library.
Hmmm... Is there any way to force automatic syncing with an existing library.

Your solution would take a long time and a would require a new external SSD, so I'm not keen on going that route just yet. New drive because I have over 1 TB of files in Photos. I don't have this problem on my iPad or MacBook though. It's only on my Mac mini.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Yeah, something's not working right for you -- it should sync automatically. On my Monterey system, there are some background processes that are probably related, like (I'm just guessing from the names) cloudphotod and photolibraryd,. You can look in Activity Monitor (put photo in the search field) or use 'ps' in Terminal to see if they are running. I expect they should be.

For the next sync, try logging out and in again instead of rebooting. Still not a great solution but if it works it's slightly better.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Well, all of a sudden it's working again. It didn't work for almost a month (unless I rebooted), but now it works. Weird. I didn't do anything different at all.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.