Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sooo Computer Illiterate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
I so hope someone can help me. Last year I bought a My Passport for Mac. I just wanted it to save my pictures to. I never realized this before but it seems once I save them from My Photos to the Passport it changes the "created date" to the date that I actually saved it to on the Passport. Now I don't have the exact dates on which the pictures were actually taken. Also if I edited a pic in My Photos and then save it to Passport I can transfer it back but can't revert it to original. Why is my passport doing this??? and how easily can this be fixed. Please help this is very important. Thank you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like you were keeping the images in the Photos app then drag and dropped them over to the external drive?

If you do that is causes the new create date issue you mentioned. But the real create date is still stored in the Exif data of the files. You can see it by opening one of the images in Preview then hitting command-i to see the info. Then go to the Exif tab and you should see the real created date.

Photos can see this data and will use it to categorize images, so if you import these files back to Photos they will still sort correctly.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.17.52 AM.png

Reactions: CoastalOR

Sooo Computer Illiterate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Thank you so much. I was simply using the "get info" option . Didn't know about the other one. Yes original date does show up. I was really upset about it all. I also found at the while the picture is in "photo" I can revert it to original. Once I put the edited version on the passport and then import it I can no longer revert it to its original form. So I always have to remember to save the original. I have thousands and thousands of pics on my mac book pro and I believe that is what is slowing down the performance of the lap top. Of course it will take a very long to move all the pics as I am also trying to organize them at the same time. Thank you again. Trailriderone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.