Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is a bit concerning, that the Photos app seems to be entirely "cloud based at the core"

Anyone else think this is going to run up data plans and cause privacy issues?

Also, I want to have a local photo archive; my photos are precious to me and I don't trust the "cloud" to store them.

Thoughts?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
This is a bit concerning, that the Photos app seems to be entirely "cloud based at the core"

Also, I want to have a local photo archive; my photos are precious to me and I don't trust the "cloud" to store them.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you can turn off cloud-storage.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I didn't get from the demo that it requires iCloud, but you definitely gain a lot by using the cloud.

This is a very big deal for me. I currently don't have any photos on my phone. I've uploaded all of my photos to Google+ so that I can see them on my phone. I'll be happy to switch everything over to iCloud so that I can see them on all of my devices.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I didn't get from the demo that it requires iCloud, but you definitely gain a lot by using the cloud.

This is a very big deal for me. I currently don't have any photos on my phone. I've uploaded all of my photos to Google+ so that I can see them on my phone. I'll be happy to switch everything over to iCloud so that I can see them on all of my devices.

I think I'd be happier with iCloud used as a syncing strategy, with photo still stored on the device.

I'm comfortable with the Cloud as secondary storage, but my local copies NEED to be authoritative, or I will be nervous about losing my data.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

Thoughts?
Wait for the details.. Even I didn't understand.. "All your photos on all your devices?

This is the same quote with original iCloud.. We will really need to see the details...

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think I'd be happier with iCloud used as a syncing strategy, with photo still stored on the device.

I'm comfortable with the Cloud as secondary storage, but my local copies NEED to be authoritative, or I will be nervous about losing my data.

My only concern with cloud data is if someone were to steal my device and delete photos. You can't lose cloud data unless Apple goes out of business and the servers shut down.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Yes. iCloud is required. As said in the presentation, all of your photos can now be in the cloud, for a fee.

What is not clear is what does it do with the photos I have in iPhoto or merely sitting in folders in my Google Drive? Do I need to copy these photos to the Photos.app? Does the Photos.app automatically see my photos in iPhoto? Does it automatically scan my computer for photos (I sure as hell don't want screenshots showing up)?

Details Apple, remember? It's about the details, yet you left them out.

I consider iPhoto dead at this point in time.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/photos/

Why give us an app when iPhoto already does this? iPhoto is dead.

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Also it will be interesting to see if iPhoto is dropped in favor of this, and how Aperture will play with the cloud stuff. I would gladly pay to have my libraries in sync wirelessly.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I'm hoping the cloud isn't needed.

I don't use iCloud. I don't want to use iCloud. I back up to my PC. If I wanted all my photos on iCloud they'd be there. I don't and won't be impressed if I've no choice but to use it.

This for me would be a deal breaker. I don't have enough data for all my photos to automatically upload to the cloud. And don't want to have to pay out for more data because Apple tell me I can't keep my photos on my phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Also it will be interesting to see if iPhoto is dropped in favor of this, and how Aperture will play with the cloud stuff. I would gladly pay to have my libraries in sync wirelessly.

That's just it, we shouldn't have to pay. We should be able to use our own storage that we own and control.

I think companies are trying to take control of our own data away from us. It's a bit scary because if we give up that control, they can hold us hostage in the future.

N3wbi3

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
That's just it, we shouldn't have to pay. We should be able to use our own storage that we own and control.

I think companies are trying to take control of our own data away from us. It's a bit scary because if we give up that control, they can hold us hostage in the future.

I'm sure if they didn't give us the option to store photos locally on the device, instead of in the cloud, there would be some sort of class action lawsuit against about forced data overage charges.

So yes, I think Apple is smart enough to avoid this headache and give us the option not to upload photos to the cloud.

If not... let's get this lawsuit started and get rich! :D

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
My only concern with cloud data is if someone were to steal my device and delete photos. You can't lose cloud data unless Apple goes out of business and the servers shut down.

Passcode on your device should help that. Either way, someone can steal your device right now and delete your photos.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Apple website says it has to be activated on your device, so my guess is that you don't have to use it. Also states that it will upload full photo to web, and keep a device sized photo on the device, so looks like local storage plays a part.

antiprotest

Suspended
Apr 19, 2010
Come on, there is no way they will make it impossible to save photos on your device. What? So you can't even take or look at pics when the phone is offline? Don't be ridiculous. This is obviously an expansion of the photo stream functionality. It is a (potentially) unlimited photo stream. That's all. And like photo stream, it is optional.

When they first announced Touch ID, I remember that some people on here were freaking out about how the iPhone is now going to "take" your fingerprint and kept complaining about a loss of privacy and kept asking "Can I use a passcode instead?" It's a feature. They're not going to keep saying "But you don't have to use this" and "But it's easy to turn this off" with every little new feature that they announce.

Just relax.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Sounds like Apple is going to make use of all those servers they've been building. Finally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.