Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Does anyone know why photos are sent out of order when selecting and sending from the photos app? (To be sent via iMessage)

I purposely select specific photos in a particular order so the recipient looks at them in the same order. But 98% of the time they get jumbled.

This has been happening prior to iOS 15. Does anyone else have this issue or a fix?

*iPhone 13 Pro, clean install, latest firmware*

Reactions: dk001

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guess it's due to time-stamp of photo. And same/similar, name of the file. img001.jpg was taken yesterday, img015.jpg today at 1:00pm. So, yesterday's photo will be dropped in first due to name/time.

A pain, but can insert photos individually in order you want them. Or can drag the photos around in the email to reorder.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Guess it's due to time-stamp of photo. And same/similar, name of the file. img001.jpg was taken yesterday, img015.jpg today at 1:00pm. So, yesterday's photo will be dropped in first due to name/time.

A pain, but can insert photos individually in order you want them. Or can drag the photos around in the email to reorder.
I actually misspoke. I select the photos in order of time. Oldest ones first and so on and so forth. Example: Img06, img09, img15 etc etc. But it will send them out of order.

Im not talking about email.

Seriously no one else has this issue?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iMessage wasn’t intended to be a page layout program. If you want to display images inline with text in the order you choose, use email. Or send your message first then each picture afterwards.

• Haha

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
iMessage wasn’t intended to be a page layout program. If you want to display images inline with text in the order you choose, use email. Or send your message first then each picture afterwards.
Your response doesn’t make sense to me.

How can you say iMessage isn’t an inline program? It literally sends messages in line. In a straight line. Like time. Message 1 message 2 message 3. You can even see time stamps.

So when selecting photos from the photos app, why in the world wouldn’t the photos at least be sent in order of time? Why does it put the 5 photos I selected in a draft message, randomize them and then send them. It sounds like a bug to me. WhatsApp and Signal have never had this issue.

And why have the first 2 “human” responses not been able to understand this. This must be the twilight zone.

Last edited:

eea_76

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
And why have the first 2 “human” responses not been able to understand this. This must be the twilight zone.
I'm with you on this. I hate when other people gaslight you into thinking legitimate tech issues are not problems. If you notice, the images don't always send in the same order. A good way to prove this is to save three images with large numbers 1, 2, and 3 on them and then send those three in an iMessage multiple times, and you will see the order is random in the message body, (before you even send the message, by the way). Try it, you'll eventually get every conceivable order:

2, 1, 3
3, 1, 2
1, 2, 3
3, 2, 1
1, 3, 2
2, 3, 1

It is infuriating honestly. It has nothing to do with timestamps or Messages "not being a page layout program" or whatever those dorks are babbling about above.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I'm with you on this. I hate when other people gaslight you into thinking legitimate tech issues are not problems. If you notice, the images don't always send in the same order. A good way to prove this is to save three images with large numbers 1, 2, and 3 on them and then send those three in an iMessage multiple times, and you will see the order is random in the message body, (before you even send the message, by the way). Try it, you'll eventually get every conceivable order:

2, 1, 3
3, 1, 2
1, 2, 3
3, 2, 1
1, 3, 2
2, 3, 1

It is infuriating honestly. It has nothing to do with timestamps or Messages "not being a page layout program" or whatever those dorks are babbling about above.
Yes exactly! That’s how it happens. I’m floored no one else talks about it. It happens pretty much every time.

Ricmatthews

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
I think I found a workaround. Instead of selecting/sending from the photos app, do it from the messages app: click the little photos icon above the keyboard and select the order from there.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I actually misspoke. I select the photos in order of time. Oldest ones first and so on and so forth. Example: Img06, img09, img15 etc etc. But it will send them out of order.

Im not talking about email.

Seriously no one else has this issue?

This has been going off and on for a while now. Still seeing it in 15.5 b4
Using 13 ProMax.

Photos sent via iMessage

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

eea_76

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I think I found a workaround. Instead of selecting/sending from the photos app, do it from the messages app: click the little photos icon above the keyboard and select the order from there.

Thank you. I will have to get used to sending photos like this instead of through the Photos app but at least they will always (presumably) be in order from now on.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Thank you. I will have to get used to sending photos like this instead of through the Photos app but at least they will always (presumably) be in order from now on.
The issue persists in the latest iOS16 betas fyi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.