Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

William7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Just curious to see what people think of the photos update listed on the apple webpage.
http://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

It says that with El Capitan extensions will be supported as well as allowing you to add location tags to photos and making faces tagging easier.

Hoping extensions can pick up the missing pro features, looking forward to the pixelmatr plugin.

Reactions: GoGa

William7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I don't see a way to edit location data in Photos 1.1...

Its listed as a feature on the preview page

Everything in its place.

Photos has been fine-tuned to make it even easier to manage your library. Now you can add a location to a single image or to an entire Moment. Naming your favorite people in Faces is faster with a streamlined workflow. You can also sort your albums — and the contents inside them — by date, title, and more.

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Probably because it's coming, but not in the first developer beta. Now that location editing is back, they really need to enable viewing photos by location again.

That was a useful feature in iPhoto!

And don't bloody delete photos from my photo library when I delete them from Photo Stream. I can see why that would be a thing for iCloud Photo Library, but it's totally messed up that they did the same with Photo Stream.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Now that location editing is back, they really need to enable viewing photos by location again.

Yes please! I will still be using iPhotos until the map feature is returned. I can live without Events, but as some want who has had a GPS camera for the last 4 years, I REALY want to view my pictures on a map.

onceyougozak

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
Is there any chance they resurrected the switching libraries feature? I wouldn't mind migrating from Lightroom back to Photos if this was possible.

William7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Is there any chance they resurrected the switching libraries feature? I wouldn't mind migrating from Lightroom back to Photos if this was possible.
what do you mean switching libraries? i have multiple libraries and can switch between them in the current release version

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Can you post a screenshot? i don't see it?
Skjermbilde 2015-06-09 kl. 16.03.38.png

mrnorwegian

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Oslo
Does anyone know if it will support external editors (like "edit in Photoshop") or only extensions inside of the Photos app?

Reactions: baryon

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Does anyone know if it will support external editors (like "edit in Photoshop") or only extensions inside of the Photos app?

This is what I want too. I tried Photos and I loved it until I noticed that I can't even drag a photo to Photoshop, or anywhere actually and stopped using it completely. I thought it was a bug because even in the Finder you can do this simple thing. If they don't fix this I don't even understand how they expect the millions of people who use Photoshop to use Photos.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
This is what I want too. I tried Photos and I loved it until I noticed that I can't even drag a photo to Photoshop, or anywhere actually and stopped using it completely. I thought it was a bug because even in the Finder you can do this simple thing. If they don't fix this I don't even understand how they expect the millions of people who use Photoshop to use Photos.

I drag photos out of Photos into other apps all the time.

mrnorwegian

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Oslo
Beware that if you drag a photo out of Photos it will degrade the quality (unless you hold the option key). Drag a file to the desktop and compare the image size to the original file.

But what I'm hoping for is is a round trip where you click "edit in external editor" or something similar on images in Photos. And then the file you edit in the external editor comes back as a edited version of the same file in Photos. That way it's nondestructive and faster workflow. Is this possible in the new update?

Last edited:
Reactions: ButteryScrollin

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
You have map view in 1.1
That's great. Considering how much Photos was delayed from the Yosemite launch, they should have just released it with El Cap with all the features iPhoto has. Oh well, far from a big deal.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
And it works? It doesn't do anything for me, and I've seen many people complain about this on these forums and the official answer is that "this isn't supported", hence the "external editing" being a new feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.