Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArhnoldShwarzenberger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Modena / Italy
I'm looking for a used MacBook PRO. I'm aiming for a model with at least 16GB RAM (or 32GB) or expandable.
MacBook must work with a PCIE NVME drive and have DDR4 or DDR5. Retina 2/3K screen.

I don't know on what system and on what configurations the subscription-free Photoshop CS and Premiere CS can be run?
What versions of macOS should I look for and what versions of Adobe???
I don't want to pay a monthly subscription, I want to have these programs fully licensed forever.
Which versions are these?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
There haven't been fully licensed, non-subscription versions of Photoshop CS/Premiere CS since 2013.

The only versions of these programs still available with perpetual licenses are the stripped down "Elements" versions.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The only non-subscription versions of Adobe apps which can still be activated are CS5, CS5.5, and CS6. All older apps can no longer be activated or reinstalled. CS6 is roughly 12 years old now and so it is not compatible with any recent version of macOS. You're likely to have compatibility problems with OS versions 10.11-10.14, and it cannot run at all in 10.15 or later. As a result you'd be looking for a Mac that can still run macOS 10.10.x, which was first released in 2014 and last updated in 2017.
Eventually I am sure Adobe will also stop activating CS6 too, so this is not a sustainable long-term strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.