Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toinman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Today Adobe updated all its CC apps to the new 2015 version. Since Adobe said it would support Metal I wondered someone did some benchmark or has general performance impressions?

Currently, Photoshop CC 2015 is still very laggy and never feels snappy, especially moving layers still feels like moving tectonic plates. (1st gen rMBP 15, Yosemite). The days PS ate all your RAM and 40Gigs of scratch disk seems over, but overall it still remains a slow app. I really hope Metal can change this.

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
You can only have Metal supported apps in El Capitan not in Yosemite.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Today Adobe updated all its CC apps to the new 2015 version. Since Adobe said it would support Metal I wondered someone did some benchmark or has general performance impressions?
It's extremely unlikely that the first release of CC 2015 supports a prerelease version of Metal. It'd be foolish for Adobe to add support at this point. Remember, it was about 9 months between Adobe's first demo of Photoshop for retina displays to release. Moving their apps to Metal is a huge change.

Toinman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Since they where quick to announce metal support after it was shown at WWDC, I was under the impression they already knew and would add it in their next update... being cc2015. False hopes I guess.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It wound't make any sense to add support for Metal in an existing application at this point — after all, it won't be released until half a year later. I would be surprised if the Metal specs are even finalised, we can expect minor or major changes at any time. Maybe Adobe will have some sort of beta testing later this summer though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.