Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Sorry, it's probably been asked time and time again.

I have a copy of CS4 which is still working fine in Sierra on my MacBook, and I am fully used to where all the functions are.

However, on my iMac which is running a public beta of High Sierra, CS4 runs but crashes whenever I try to save an image.
I'm not surprised really given the age of the software.

I'm just looking ahead to when High Sierra is finally released, and wondering if Elements will do the editing I need. I simply cannot afford or justify buying CS6 or CC and I don't think it is worth it.

So, I do fairly simple editing at the moment, mostly on a global scale, but some of the actions I use I would like to continue with - in particular those from Kolari Vision that process infrared shots, I would like to use luminosity masking which I am just learning, and I would prefer to keep my Noise Ninja working.

Do you think Elements would do the job for me at my low level of editing, if CS4 still won't work after final release of High Sierra?

I am familiar with Adobe products and wish to keep using them rather than try something else thank you ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I dont think Elements does layered editing does it? and there is no photo organisation or DAM to it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I dont think Elements does layered editing does it? and there is no photo organisation or DAM to it.

Elements does layers quite well... and it comes with "Photoshop Elements Organizer" which one may use to organize photos.... not sure I'd call it a full-fledged DAM... I refuse to pay monthly charges for the ability to use Adobe CC, so for me, the $80 cost for PSE was well worth it.

Reactions: Hughmac and kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Elements does layers quite well... and it comes with "Photoshop Elements Organizer" which one may use to organize photos.... not sure I'd call it a full-fledged DAM... I refuse to pay monthly charges for the ability to use Adobe CC, so for me, the $80 cost for PSE was well worth it.

Cool... my mistake...

Reactions: AZhappyjack

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
The price of PSE 15, as mentioned above, is not a huge burden so you could try it out. You mentioned "actions" and I don't know if you meant Photoshop Actions or the general term for post-processing. If the former, I don't think Elements supports it. If you need Actions, you can enable it in PSE through http://elementsplus.net/

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I run elements 10,it support layer editing,and you can also use plugins with elements.
Elements 10 for me too. It does everything I need. Maybe it's time I upgraded to the latest version...
Oh that's great, thanks. I think I might take the plunge soon.

Hugh
[doublepost=1502043494][/doublepost]PS, I've just bought a retail box of Elements 15 for £60, so coupled with Elements+ if I need it (at $12) I should be good to go.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Not sure how you are doing your luminosity sharpening but make sure to research what filters are available in PSE. There won't be as many as there are in the full program.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Not sure how you are doing your luminosity sharpening but make sure to research what filters are available in PSE. There won't be as many as there are in the full program.
Hi Molly, it's luminosity masks I was worrying about - playing with curves to darken clouds that come out too bright mostly, and it seems it is possible with Elements. We shall see...

Hugh

Reactions: mollyc

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh that's great, thanks. I think I might take the plunge soon.

Hugh
[doublepost=1502043494][/doublepost]PS, I've just bought a retail box of Elements 15 for £60, so coupled with Elements+ if I need it (at $12) I should be good to go.
I see you have taken the plunge now. However why the need to update your OS? Stick with the current one and you won't need to update at all.
Or keep a copy of your current OS on a bootable external HD just for your photo work.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I see you have taken the plunge now. However why the need to update your OS? Stick with the current one and you won't need to update at all.
Or keep a copy of your current OS on a bootable external HD just for your photo work.
Yeah, all good points. I have CS4 still working on my MacBooks (Sierra) but will eventually upgrade them to a higher OS, even if I miss out High Sierra.
I also have a bootable backup of the Sierra installation which was previously on the iMac, so I could continue using CS4 using that clunky method.

However PhotoShop CS4 was released in 2008, and I'm surprised it has survived as many OS upgrades as it has. Elements 15, released last year, probably has more features and a longer lifespan.

I'm simply trying to future proof myself as cheaply as possible.

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.