Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
There are many quick reviews on Youtube. Be sure to watch this one.
His review certainly has not made me rush to purchase it. Version 1, fair enough, but perhaps it should be deeply discounted as they admit it is only a beginning.

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I would jump in, if it would fit my workflow. As long as I can only sync smart previews from Lightroom Classic, there's really nothing I can edit with Photoshop on iPad.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Maybe it’s the beginning of the slow roll of the rumored x86 to ARM transition on the Mac. If Adobe can port photoshop and all its legacy baggage, then most apps should be possible too. That, or they get this in place and then drop proper mouse/trackpad support on iPadOS.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
These ARM versions of Ps and Lr are functionally lite. And Adobe has had years to bring these to market. Affinity Photo is in much better shape with a mature IOS version of Affinity Photo. Can't wait to see if/when Phase One steps up with C1P for IOS.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
It is, of course, purely coincidental that Adobe announced "Full Photoshop for iPad" (despite walking it back once the derision began to flow upon release), at the same time a lot of the tech press was covering the launch of Affinity Publisher, and talking about how it was inexpensive, fast, and capable. ?

I'll be very interested to see if Phase do an iOS version, or if their tablet solution remains "buy a surface".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And Adobe has had years to bring these to market.
I think part of the problem is that PS is cross platform with decades of legacy code, whereas Affinity had it "easy" being able to start from scratch. Remember Affinity products started off very feature lite, and through the course of time, they improved it. Adobe is being castigated by not rolling out PS for the iPad with parity to the desktop. I get the complaints but I think it took a lot of work, I mean if Adobe could have rolled it out a month after announcing it, don't you think they would have? ITs not like they're trying to drag their feet.

Reactions: zhenya

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Affinity Photo for IOS is on sale for around $10. I think it makes a better value than PS for iPad.

Will Adobe ever catch up on IOS/iPadOS? Unless Affinity goes to sleep, it will not happen in the next 2 or more years. And Adobe faces a huge challenge if Apple does indeed start the move to ARM processors, folks who have built good complex apps on IOS/iPadOS should be able to reuse large parts of those designs for a MacOS for ARM processors. So there is much more at stake than just doing a good job with an IOS/iPad app.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Maybe it’s the beginning of the slow roll of the rumored x86 to ARM transition on the Mac. If Adobe can port photoshop and all its legacy baggage, then most apps should be possible too. That, or they get this in place and then drop proper mouse/trackpad support on iPadOS.

It likely is.

From discussions on another forum, I've heard that Adobe is committed to releasing ARM based CC apps for "Windows on ARM" (e.g. Surface Pro X, ...) sometime in late 2020. This would make developing CC apps for a possible "macOS on ARM" and for Android in addition to the new iPadOS version, practical. The slow release of features may be a result of their developing a global ARM build and not having resources for a narrow iPadOS target.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
It likely is.

From discussions on another forum, I've heard that Adobe is committed to releasing ARM based CC apps for "Windows on ARM" (e.g. Surface Pro X, ...) sometime in late 2020. This would make developing CC apps for a possible "macOS on ARM" and for Android in addition to the new iPadOS version, practical. The slow release of features may be a result of their developing a global ARM build and not having resources for a narrow iPadOS target.
As complex as software can be, it makes sense to slowly bring things to parity with desktop. The more demanding features can come later, as hardware continues to improve. Reminds me of the fairly capable versions of Office programs that were able to run on Surface RT. They weren’t “full Office,” but they were very useful nonetheless.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I sort of think Adobe just wasn't as interested in the photographers as the graphic artists, hence no integration with Lr's mobile iteration. That app is kind of stunted in regard to export anyway. Has gotten better, but still. So no raw, which I'm sure they knew meant a lot of photographers would just ignore it.

So it's kind of triaged back to a Ps to Ps tool, and for that it's not completely awful. Nice to be able to do some stuff on the road with the iPP and Pencil with PSDs, but the workflow kind of has to start back on the desktop. Sort of like for Classic users it's got to start there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.