Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
California
I recently purchased Photoshop elements and when I open I picture in photoshop from iphoto and alter it, I can't open it in iphoto again. I can't get the picture to show up in slideshows it will show in the library as a thumbnail but when i click to in large it nothing happens sometimes iphoto will frezze and quit. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I am guessing that you are saving the photo as a Photoshop file (.psd file, although you may not be using the file extension), and that is what is causing the problem. After working in Photoshop, either save it as a Photoshop file if you are going to continue editing it in Photoshop, or Save As... the photo as a JPG file if you want to use it in other programs.

Saving As.. a jpg file (or a tiff file) will flatten the file and you will lose any layers or path information that was created in Photoshop. What I usually do is create a folder for Photoshop work in progress, where I put the .psd files, and save copies as jpg for iPhoto and Web use.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also, although this is unrelated to the crashing, make sure that you launch the photo from iPhoto into PSE by right / ctrl- clicking it and selecting edit in external editor (or doing this by double-click, if that's how you set it up). At least in my experience, if you drag the picture to the PSE dock icon, you will overwrite the original and not be able to revert to it. :(

Also, in relation to CanadaRAM's excellent suggestion, this issue only comes up when you make changes that "unflatten" the image by adding layers, etc. In general, if you take an image and do most of the things in the image, enhance and filter menus, it should default to re-save as JPG or whatever the original format was. I think rotate is a notable exception though -- because the rotate always acts on a layer, IIRC, meaning that you will always be forced to "unflatten" your image to do a rotate, and then you will have to flatten it to save a JPG.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
California
The images naturally save in JPEG format. when I control click on the image in iphoto the option edit in external editor is grey and can not be selected. I'm a bit stumped and no one else I know operates on a mac so they don't even know what iphoto is. When I work in photoshop I usually just open the image from there.

Edit: You know I don't think it's a photoshop thing because my iphoto won't open certain images even one's that haven't been edited in PSE. It's only happening to the images that I took today and uploaded. Could this be a tiger related problem?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
SaleenS351 said:
The images naturally save in JPEG format. when I control click on the image in iphoto the option edit in external editor is grey and can not be selected. I'm a bit stumped and no one else I know operates on a mac so they don't even know what iphoto is. When I work in photoshop I usually just open the image from there.

Ugh, yet another insomniac night for me. :( Do you mean that you have never been able to launch a photo in PSE from iPhoto by the external editor option? Have you *defined* your external editor in iPhoto? You have to do this first. Go to preferences, and then in the section titled "Double Click Photo," click on the Select Application button and guide the dialog to Photoshop Elements. You may have to first choose the radio bubble for "Opens in ..." to be able to do this. However, after you set the application, even if you change the double click setting back to "changes in edit view," you will still get PSE when you do the "edit in external editor."

If you're saying that you've been editing the photos by navigating manually through the iPhoto library from inside PSE, then I think that may be part of your problem.... iPhoto keeps different info about your picture besides just the JPG file, but PSE is changing the JPG without changing everything else. You should use the external editor option, once you get it working.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
California
Thanks for heping me out I appreciate it, i set up the edit in external editor. But for some reason iphoto still crashes occasionally, but that seemed to get iphoto in sync with the editing done in PS, thanks again you guys are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.