Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Does anyone know what this means, its a message I got when combining a picture into a new file I made. "The target document has a different depth than the source document. This may result in lower than expected quality. Are you sure you wanted to proceed.?

Another question I have was while doing work in photoshop for video (DV) should I work from NTSC DV1 720x480 from the start with a certain pixel or color profile set? I ask this because I enjooy doing matte paintings and backdrops. Im sure sometimes I would have to make the document bigger if there is a pan or something involved.
Help would be great. Thanks

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
True my document might have been 8 bit and the other 16 i would have to go back and check that out. But I dont think it was.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Be careful with your pixel dimensions. Although DV is 720x480, these are not the same square pixels that your computer displays. TVs use rectangular pixels, which are taller than they are wide. If you were to use the standard DV dimensions in photoshop to create graphics, when you import them into a DV project you will likely see that they have become squashed. Starting in photoshop 7, there is a preset for working with DV with a pixel dimension of 720x534. When you import these to FCP, DVDSP etc, they will scale accordingly preserving your intended look.

good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.