Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
I need to convince a friend of mine who is starting up a company to go the PHP / MySQL route vs Microsoft ASP etc... He is a Mac fan but no web design / data base expert. Do you know of great websites that use the technology so I can show him it is robust etc.... MR does but I was looking for more commercial / transaction type websites. Any suggestions welcome....

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Hm...

Yahoo! Finance use MySQL, but I'm not sure if it use PHP. I know some of Yahoo! does, but not sure which parts.

I believe Lufthansa use PHP and MySQL for their eTicket system.

Ticketmaster use MySQL. Though they don't use PHP (they use Perl).

Wikipedia use MySQL and PHP.

Hot or Not use MySQL and PHP ;)

PriceGrabber use MySQL and PHP as does StoreFront.

BBC Online use MySQL. Don't think they use PHP though.

I know most of them doesn't involve online transations, but hopefully this is of some help.

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
PHP and SQL? If you are reading this thread, just look around the browser window.

Not sure if vBulletin is an example you are looking for, but that's my copa de leche (aka my 2 cents).

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
dubbz said:
Hm...

Yahoo! Finance use MySQL, but I'm not sure if it use PHP. I know some of Yahoo! does, but not sure which parts.

I believe Lufthansa use PHP and MySQL for their eTicket system.

Ticketmaster use MySQL. Though they don't use PHP (they use Perl).

Wikipedia use MySQL and PHP.

Hot or Not use MySQL and PHP ;)

PriceGrabber use MySQL and PHP as does StoreFront.

BBC Online use MySQL. Don't think they use PHP though.

I know most of them doesn't involve online transations, but hopefully this is of some help.

Thanks these are awesome examples!

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Chacala_Nayarit said:
PHP and SQL? If you are reading this thread, just look around the browser window.

Not sure if vBulletin is an example you are looking for, but that's my copa de leche (aka my 2 cents).

Tx I was looking for something outside MR and more commerical

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
speaking to the ebusiness manager at work, people generally like to use .NET over PHP because theres's official support for .NET, even though PHP is a more powerful language (imo) and it's not M$ which is never bad!! :p

if you're going to be starting a PHP/MYSQL web design company, you need to have people that can answer all your questions as quickly as possible. get your developers to do the zend engineers quals. then you'll have some serious PHP jedis on your hands. the exam is about £150 and you can grab the training manual from amazon

also, to echo what's already been said, look at any bulletin board software...Invision, Vbul etc...all PHP and MYSQL. built for security and to manage a high number of queries simultaneously.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Knox said:
They use perl and MySQL, but it's a good one for MySQL at least. The developers have done several presentations at MySQL conferences, you can see the slides for a recent one on danga.com

yes i have read them before. quite interesting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.