Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doozy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Quick Poll.

Which do you prefer phpbb or vbulletin?

I would like your input. I am starting a forum for a client and it will probably not have very heavy traffic, but he wants it to be SEO. I know vbulletin is more SEO than phpbb. I could mod phpbb to be more search engine friendly but modding phpbb makes upgrading harder.

Is it worth it to just start with vBulletin?

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'd go with VBulletin.

I've used every forum software this is just about, and have never had such a well-working and easy to mod site as with VB.

If you could spend time modding PHPBB to be more SEO, imagine how much better VB would be with that sime time spent optimizing it's SEO capabilities. It's ahead to begin with, the same amount (or less) of time will push it way out of PHPBB's reach.

Much less prone to malicious scripts, as well.

Doozy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
If you could spend time modding PHPBB to be more SEO, imagine how much better VB would be with that sime time spent optimizing it's SEO capabilities. It's ahead to begin with, the same amount (or less) of time will push it way out of PHPBB's reach.

You know I agree with you. The hardest part is convincing the client to pay for the license, but if I tell the client it will cost more optimizing phpbb for SEO than the cost of the license he may go for it.

His competition uses phpbb.

Would you rather post on a site that uses vBulletin or phpbb. I know I would prefer vBulletin but would the average user know a difference?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Doozy said:
Would you rather post on a site that uses vBulletin or phpbb. I know I would prefer vBulletin but would the average user know a difference?

Depends on your definition of average user. I consider myself an "average user" as I post on several different forums and have for years. That gives me a good feel for what I like and what I don't care for. Across the board I prefer vB to phpbb. Strictly as an end user who is pretty well aquatinted with the external workings of a forum (do not apply any of this to it as supporting one or the other).

Your first timers and newbie forum users probably wouldn't really notice the difference.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
STAY AWAY FROM PHPBB!

Sorry to yell, but I built macthemesforums.net with phpbb and we all have been regretting it since about 3 months after the site launched. Security holes were the first major issue that we encountered... and now we have incredibly slow loading times and it is very hard to upgrade the software since we have made so many hacks to the default installation.

If you want lightweight and super fast, try PunBB.

If you want a powerful board with good support, use vBulleting or Invision Powerboard.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Considering you're running the WORST version security wise of phpBB I'd suggest you update, it's not hard no matter how many MODs you have, and if you're that worried about it I could even do it for you...

mnkeybsness said:
STAY AWAY FROM PHPBB!

Sorry to yell, but I built macthemesforums.net with phpbb and we all have been regretting it since about 3 months after the site launched. Security holes were the first major issue that we encountered... and now we have incredibly slow loading times and it is very hard to upgrade the software since we have made so many hacks to the default installation.

If you want lightweight and super fast, try PunBB.

If you want a powerful board with good support, use vBulleting or Invision Powerboard.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
amacgenius said:
Considering you're running the WORST version security wise of phpBB I'd suggest you update, it's not hard no matter how many MODs you have, and if you're that worried about it I could even do it for you...

We actually fixed the security hole in the version that is listed for that site. But now we are looking to converting to punbb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.