Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVD or Blu-ray for animated content?

• Blu-ray, the quality is worth it

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • DVD, why spend extra?

• DVD to save on media server storage space

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Depends on price difference

• Depends on the quality of the Blu-ray

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I decided a while back that I am no longer buying digital media from iTunes or anything similar, and going back to adding to my already large physical media collection for movies, TV Shows, and music.
I am adding all my content to my Plex server, and while my storage for Plex is very large, I am thinking about the long-term storage needs when it comes to the quality of the content versus the space it will take up.

Most content is pretty easy to figure out on whether to get BR or DVDs for me. The content I already own on DVD, I will not be replacing with BR, with a few exceptions.

If it is a big epic movie that I like or think I might like and one I do not already own, I will get it in BR. Something like a romantic comedy, I wouldn't get the BR version unless I found it cheaper.

I owned much of the 007 collection, but found the complete BR collection up to Spectre, and they look really good compared to my DVD versions.

I own the first season of The X-Files, and I recently bought the BR collection of all 11 seasons, and the difference between them is night and day. The BR looks so much better than the original, and it looks like it was remastered by people who cared to produce a quality product.

I own the entire DVD set of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and while I love the show, the BR remaster looks horrible, so I am just sticking with the DVDs.

Animation is one of those types of content that I am unsure about.

Some animation looks a lot better with the higher quality of Blu-ray, examples would be like just about any Disney movie and some older content.

Some doesn't look like it takes advantage of the higher quality, examples would be like the TV Show Archer. I could be wrong about that, but I really do not see too much of a difference.

I love Archer more than any Disney movie, but really do not think I should spend about twice as much getting the BR versions. I have season 2 in BR already because I found it for really cheap, but I am thinking of getting DVDs for the other seasons.

Even the Disney content I am on the fence about getting, and there is a noticeable difference in quality with just about every Disney BR I own compared to the DVD version.

I plan on purchasing a lot more animated content soon at the request of my children and some stuff I want, but I am curious how others deal with animation and their physical media collection.

Also, has other notice that some animation just doesn't really look that much different with Blu-ray?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If BluRay beats the pants off DVD, then duh BluRay. If it's only slightly to moderately better, DVD all the way. 2 reasons: 1) I can rip to MP4 easily (no more 15 minutes of trailers. Really?:mad:) and 2) cheaper. I've got over 10TB off DVD's I've ripped because of the frakking trailers. By the time the movie starts, my soda has gone flat.:rolleyes:

Edit: If it's kid shows, definitely DVD. I always rip my kids show to MP4 and let them play it on the media player. I've lost several dozen Barney and Thomas the Tank engine DVDs to my first born's wanting to use the DVD player.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.