Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hi,

I have been thinking of buying a refurbished macbook with a US keyboard layout, but would prefer to have a french layout. Is it possible to swap the keys, and if thats possible how expensive would that be? Are there any other differences between a mac bought in the US and in Europe?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something tells me this is NOT a job you would want to try, and would be too expensive to have done for you.

You didn't tell us WHICH refurbished MacBook you are considering.
If it has a butterfly keyboard, forget it, these do not interchange by themselves (entire top case has to be replaced).

To sum up... this is a bad idea.
If you want a French keyboard layout, BUY one with that layout.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Something tells me this is NOT a job you would want to try, and would be too expensive to have done for you.

You didn't tell us WHICH refurbished MacBook you are considering.
If it has a butterfly keyboard, forget it, these do not interchange by themselves (entire top case has to be replaced).

To sum up... this is a bad idea.
If you want a French keyboard layout, BUY one with that layout.
Im looking at m2/m3 macbook airs in 13’’/15’’

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
The entire top case would have to be replaced. Not only are the keycaps imprints different - there are physically different keys. USA uses ANSI and Europe uses ISO. Layout differences described here: https://support.apple.com/102743
How much would be a replacement of the top case? And if I get an ISO keyboard in another language (like UK english), can I swap the keys or do I have to change the top case too if I want to get a french keyboard?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How much would be a replacement of the top case?"

I'll guess from $500-700 (US).
Are you willing to pay that much? (even if it's possible).

Again, my advice is:
Do not attempt this. The results aren't going to be what you want.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
"How much would be a replacement of the top case?"

I'll guess from $500-700 (US).
Are you willing to pay that much? (even if it's possible).

Again, my advice is:
Do not attempt this. The results aren't going to be what you want.
Ok, thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
“Theoretically” if you get a different ISO layout, yes - you could swap the keycaps. Keycaps are either Apple original, which means buying them “grey market” (Apple won’t sell them directly to you; probably need to buy from an agreeable Apple service center) or they’re 3rd party replacement which might not match the finish or build quality of OEM. So research that first - Where are you going to get the French keycaps to swap with? How long will it take to get them? Even if a service center is “willing” to sell you the parts, they’re likely not kept on hand. What are they going to cost?

Other potential issues:
  • Removing keycaps is not a simple process. This post mentions that it’s possible, but to “be careful because they are easy to damage.” If a key gets damaged, then you are stuck with the (expensive) top-case replacement on top of the sunk cost of the caps.
  • You’re looking at “new” Macs for M2/M3 MacBook Air. Warranty service will be potentially affected if you do this. It won’t “void the warranty” but (a) if the service involves the topcase - trackpad or keyboard for example - you might have coverage issues or they might switch you back to the original language and (b) if anything is potentially caused by damage done during the swap, that would not be a covered repair.
I’m with @Fishrrman on this scheme - buy the Mac with the keyboard you want.

Reactions: Cydoimos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.