Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
If you don't mind asking, Where do you keep them all? Are they all mounted or are some in storage? Do you look for vintage/antique/rare fans or just any ceiling fan?

oh no it's fine on you/yall asking(ask me anything)..

the ones in storge>>i put the motors in the storge bins/tubs and blades other parts in my dresser dwars and in storge bins too.

i got 2 installed in my home:cool:

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
I never thought of collecting fans like this but it's not that crazy. After reading the posts so far, I got thinking about all the old black and white movies like Bogart and such where they are in a bar in South America or somewhere in Africa and the ceiling fans gave an ambiance to the movie that made it all work like you were there.

My house was build 5 years ago (I bought it when it was 2 years old) and it has fans in almost every room. Got to like them. Very useful in winter and summer. Esp. in the great room with a 20' ceiling. Had to buy a pole to clean that one!

I would actually think about buying an antique with bamboo or thatched blades.

OP: Knock yourself out. Not that crazy. Esp. if you actually use them.

Wow... this has got to be one of the funniest hobbies/collectibles I've seen.

Good on 'ya mate, whatever makes you happy!

This caught me by surprise too but why not. Have you ever gone to a flea market type thing where collectors hunt? I was a vendor at some of the bigger ones way back and the things that I would be asked if I had we really crazy! People collect anything.

Thanks MD. Posted the first one then went back and saw the other post I quoted.

Last edited:

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
I never thought of collecting fans like this but it's not that crazy. After reading the posts so far, I got thinking about all the old black and white movies like Bogart and such where they are in a bar in South America or somewhere in Africa and the ceiling fans gave an ambiance to the movie that made it all work like you were there.

My house was build 5 years ago (I bought it when it was 2 years old) and it has fans in almost every room. Got to like them. Very useful in winter and summer. Esp. in the great room with a 20' ceiling. Had to buy a pole to clean that one!

I would actually think about buying an antique with bamboo or thatched blades.

OP: Knock yourself out. Not that crazy. Esp. if you actually use them.

This caught me by surprise too but why not. Have you ever gone to a flea market type thing where collectors hunt? I was a vendor at some of the bigger ones way back and the things that I would be asked if I had we really crazy! People collect anything.

Thanks MD. Posted the first one then went back and saw the other post I quoted.

some of my fans i got from habitat for humilaty restore and goodwill and lot of my friends and family been giving me their old ones and they find fans for me,i got few from sellers though craigslist and ebay as well....

melrose,i get any fan not just ceiling fans BUT i get mostly ceiling fans but i do get oscillating/desk/pedistal/portible fans and box fans,exhaustfans,miti battery powered fans and air purifier fan/units and window fans:cool:

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
i'm proud to announce that i got 2 more fans in my collection,got these for free from my Church friend of mine on saturday 2-12-11:cool:
IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP...This is a great thread! Don't let anyone knock your hobby. Big fan (haha see what I did there) of Habitat for Humanity and helping the needy as well.

On a different note...As I clicked from the 1st to the 2nd page of this thread, I saw this banner ad on the top of my screen. It made me chuckle. :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-17 at 12.09.18 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-17 at 12.09.18 AM.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 193

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
OP...This is a great thread! Don't let anyone knock your hobby. Big fan (haha see what I did there) of Habitat for Humanity and helping the needy as well.

On a different note...As I clicked from the 1st to the 2nd page of this thread, I saw this banner ad on the top of my screen. It made me chuckle. :)

lol, I just got the same ad, I was about to post it!!!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Im so glad I clicked on this thread...
Have you got a Big Ass Fan?
DSCI0124.JPG

tip: magnify image and see centre of fan.

I visited the Big Ass Fan (yes, that really is the name of the company name) booth at the ASHRAE show in Dallas a few years back, and they had William "The Refrigerator" Perry there for publicity. They're very tongue-in-cheek about the name.

From a performance standpoint, they do make good fans, though. Very quiet and efficient for that size (upwards of 10 feet across).

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
Interesting hobby.

In the states, I always had ceiling fans. But here in Japan, the rooms are a bit lower so it's not advisable in most cases.

Which is your favorite one?

this one since it's my childhood fan,my very first one i ever had in my bedroom in my life
36857_400471963169_508923169_4519474_5253925_n.jpg

and this one since it's my second fan in my bedroom in my life AND my great aunt/uncle had 2 of these in their bedrooms
27061_347786783169_508923169_3774285_1199730_n.jpg

i used to have fan that it was made in japan,but i donated it.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
this one since it's my childhood fan,my very first one i ever had in my bedroom in my life[/IMG]
Need to put that one up! :)

and this one since it's my second fan in my bedroom in my life AND my great aunt/uncle had 2 of these in their bedrooms
Older fans are hard to beat.

i used to have fan that it was made in japan,but i donated it.
Wonder if it was made for the US or their domestic market?

Here is a typical type seen in local stores:

Japanese_Type_Ceiling_Fan.jpg

We looked at one like this, but unfortunately our ceilings are too low.

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
Need to put that one up! :)

Older fans are hard to beat.

Wonder if it was made for the US or their domestic market?

Here is a typical type seen in local stores:

View attachment 271786

We looked at one like this, but unfortunately our ceilings are too low.

i like that one,looks vintage due to those wicker cane blades:cool:

:::::

also i just want to let you know this(show you the proof of the truth)that i am not the only one in this world that collects fans/ceiling fans,here are other members/people who also collects them
http://www.dtvintagefans.org/forum/forum.php

:::::

sushi,here are 2 fans made by japan,the dark/brown one was mine
6371_110603858169_508923169_2420020_42687_n.jpg

CSLaskoB.jpg

i be getting this nutone fan,my uncle aready picked it up from the seller that i found on craigslist
3n13oc3pc5V05Z65P2b2500ea50b2e0491f101.jpg

Last edited:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
You know, at first I thought this was a joke and was going to say "Here, let me post pics of my toilets." ...But you're serious.

Awesome. :)

I've got a few of these old things from the '40s and '50s. Halfway started restoring a couple of them but ran out of free time.

438030810_tp.jpg

856806083_852b09a812.jpg

Reactions: jeremy m

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
You know, at first I thought this was a joke and was going to say "Here, let me post pics of my toilets." ...But you're serious.

I've got a few of these old things from the '40s and '50s. Halfway started restoring a couple of them but ran out of free time.

438030810_tp.jpg

856806083_852b09a812.jpg
i love those too,they worth a lot of $$$ as well :D:cool:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

LOL that made me rofl :D

OP, you have a really interesting hobby. At least you have something you like to do which is all that matters. How do you deal with having so many fans around though? and since you only have two in your house, how often do you switch them out?

I know this doesn't really contribute to the thread, but:
I like fans that spin really fast since it gets fairly hot here during some parts of the year.

jeremy m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
burleson,tx
wow been long time since i post/view this forum,as for now(sunday june 17, 2018) i still do collect ceiling fans and now gears/sprockets/pulleys
IMG_1050photo editor copy.jpg
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
BeFunky-collage 6-17-18.jpg

[doublepost=1529227919][/doublepost]

438030810_tp.jpg

856806083_852b09a812.jpg
i got 2 of those antique fans
IMG_1342 resized.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.