Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Latinking25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
I’ve gone into my photos setting and turned off view full HDR seems to still do it. Does this happen to anyone else? Makes me think I got subpar shots and the whole time I have to click edit to see the real picture

Attachments

• 0EC3C5DD-7A36-4D12-832C-EA8AA2DAFBB2.png
    0EC3C5DD-7A36-4D12-832C-EA8AA2DAFBB2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,391
  • D0B6DFA4-56CB-4D8E-A275-152A8173059F.png
    D0B6DFA4-56CB-4D8E-A275-152A8173059F.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 602
Reactions: carmelvalleyite

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
If you have iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" then it will display low quality thumbnails until you either edit or zoom into the photo. If you Zoom in, you should see the little circle as it downloads the full resolution picture.

Reactions: Peter K.

techiejosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
If you have iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" then it will display low quality thumbnails until you either edit or zoom into the photo. If you Zoom in, you should see the little circle as it downloads the full resolution picture.
I have it set to Download Originals and my photos are still blurry until I zoom in. It could be an iOS 13 bug.

Reactions: Latinking25

Latinking25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
I have it set to Download Originals and my photos are still blurry until I zoom in. It could be an iOS 13 bug.
Ok I thought I was the only one, hopefully it can be fixed. What version are you on? I’m on an iPhone 11 Pro iOS 13.2 beta

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
OMG - I just logged in to post on this very topic. This is happening to me as well, it must be a bug. It has nothing to do with “optimize storage” - I have full res downloads on. I’m on 13.1.2 on 11 Pro Max. It’s driving me crazy now that I know it’s a thing.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Maybe photos hasn’t completed the download of all photos yet?

PineappleSorbet

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Worcestershire, U.K.
Ugh. For the first time, I’m actually getting super frustrated with Apple.

I DO NOT have iCloud photos enabled (I use Amazon Drive for photo backups). I have over 200gb storage available on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. However, I’m experiencing this exact same issue!

If I take a photo, and attempt to view it immediately after, it can take several seconds before it will be viewed in high-res. I noticed it properly over the weekend whilst away - it took forever and meant I couldn’t check how a photo came out and ended up taking several shots just to be sure and check later. It also meant I could not share on WhatsApp. Just stuck for the same time before it would load to send.

I was on the normal iOS release cycle, and now upgraded to Beta to see if the issue was resolved. Still the same.

Just find it incredibly odd - on WiFi at home (500/35) it’s super quick hence why I didn’t really notice, on mobile data, it takes forever. But how/why - I don’t have iCloud Photos enabled?! And it’s affecting photos that are only just taken?!

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Happening for me. I use iCloud but have download originals enabled.

if I take a photo with my phone and then go into Photos to edit it, I have to wait (just a couple of seconds) for it to download. Download??? But the full resolution photo should never have left my phone in the first place. Weird thing is, the "download" is really quick, so I'm not sure it's downloading at all - maybe doing some manipulation of the image.

I logged a Feedback anyway, as I'm on the beta, but Apple don't seem to read these any more as they no doubt have enough other bugs to work on!

zaevoeg

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Hi, I had the exact same problem but i found a solution, hopefully it works for you.

Basically just zoom in a tiny bit and it should go clear, then zoom back out and it will be back to normal. Don’t edit and zoom, just zoom as you would when scrolling through photos

NeilJ62

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2022
An Interesting thread this! I have just upgraded my Digital SLR to a Full Frame 36meg Pixel camera, and I am using Photos to store my pics, and then to share from my iMac onto my iPad so I can show them to family & friends. For the first time today I noticed this issue too. One or two of the photos appeared blurred until I clicked on Edit, and then there was a slight pause, and the photo became uber sharp & clear? I have tried the zoom in, and zoom out suggestion from Zaevog and it doesn't work for me :( As mentioned by others this is very frustrating!! I don't know if it is a file size issue, as some of my pics are now over 50Meg! I know there is the work-around of simply clicking on Edit, and doing nothing, then going back to the picture, but why?

Any help anyone can come up with would be great

carmelvalleyite

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
I’ve gone into my photos setting and turned off view full HDR seems to still do it. Does this happen to anyone else? Makes me think I got subpar shots and the whole time I have to click edit to see the real picture
Yes, this began happening to me recently. I don't have my iPhotos in iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.