Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I think it would be an awful user experience on such a small screen. I get why they do it on iPad.

Works great on other phones.
It would on the XS Max if Apple wasn't planning to charge $$$ to sell them a new phone with a special chip that can only play pip.

f12003_ga

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2015
Australia
On my Google pixel 2XL I can press home button on screen and YouTube will go in a little pip and I can open another app or browse or what ever I want to open and still watch YouTube or Sports app live. Very very useful! ❤️ it.

Reactions: TwoBytes

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
On my Google pixel 2XL I can press home button on screen and YouTube will go in a little pip and I can open another app or browse or what ever I want to open and still watch YouTube or Sports app live. Very very useful! ❤️ it.

Perhaps you could try watching sports that are more interesting?

atton

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2016
London, UK
I very much would love to see PiP on the iphone (any size). Let the user choose whether they want to use it or not.

And in my opinion it would work just fine on any size iphones. I would use PiP for when I don't want to pay too much attention to the playing video but still want some visual of it. I am not looking for a good video experience from PiP, that's not what it was meant for anyway!

Icbtgw

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2019
You can't see **** in that tiny PiP screen. I'm guessing a lot of people find it cool but it's not practical at all. PiP is barely useful on Mac screens, let alone an iPhone screen.

Why do I want to watch commercials full screen. I’d love to switch over to something while they play in the small screen.

Reactions: f12003_ga

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Why do I want to watch commercials full screen. I’d love to switch over to something while they play in the small screen.

Not likely. Most players already pause the ads when you background the app. Would probably do the same when you minimise them.

Reactions: djas

djas

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2018
Mrs: Can your old phone do what they say?
Mr: What?
Mrs: Read this.
Mr: Well, yeah.
Mrs: Show me!
Mr: Here. See for yourself.

Mrs: I hate you!

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
If you’re watching sport that doesn’t require your attention then it’s boring.

I would agree that watching sports in general is boring. But to be fair to those who enjoy that type of thing, depending on the sport, there can be a considerable amount of downtime in-between plays or whatever. Maybe they want something mindless in the background to entertain them until they game gets going again. My college roommates had no problem doing that way before cell phones. One would have two games on the TV while constantly switching those two to other games going on at the same time, all while having a radio up to his ear listening to other games.

Or you could just assume they want to use their device in a way you don't wish to. That's fine too. It just feels petty to criticize someone else for using their phone in a way that brings them happiness and enjoyment. Maybe focus on what they're asking for without judging them on the why.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
PiP is so old school since like 2012 that it's surprising people are still wishing for it. And, why settle for one when you can have two PiP, movie and Twitch, while gaming.

Screenshot_2015-08-25-16-07-52 - Copy.png

Reactions: djas

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Picture-in-picture should be supported for iPhones too. Some people are ridiculous to be against a feature they don’t have to use if they’re against such a helpful feature, because they see no benefits to it.

You either have terrible vision, or you’re just not paying attention at all, or your mind is very narrow. There are many scenarios where PiP on iPhone is useful.

People who want to watch video while doing other things on their phones should be allowed. Listening to video isn’t the same as having a PiP version of it.

You get context of what’s going on, sometimes what they’re talking about is displayed on screen, but you can’t notice it if the video isn’t available. With PiP, when something interests you - you can jump to the video to view it in full screen. Or you can just watch it from the PiP screen. This is no different than using PiP anywhere else.

People who say it’s an awful experience, it’s not, its no different than iPad. I can see perfectly when videos are in PiP mode in YouTube and Twitch on iPhone, so I don’t know what you’re going off about. Your phone can get close to your face ya know. And even still, you can make out a PiP video on iPhone from arm distance.

If you’re incapable of multitasking between a PiP video and another app, then just don’t use it. People like to occasionally work and listen, then sometimes look at the video if something interesting happens, or switch views during breaks without having to do anything.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
You either have terrible vision, or you’re just not paying attention at all, or your mind is very narrow. There are many scenarios where PiP on iPhone is useful.

I have no horse in this race, but I got to say those don't sound like the greatest reasons to have PiP...

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.