Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Are those just the pedals that clip on your shoes? You hate them at first, and fall a lot :), but once you get use to it, you'll swear by them

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
i had no idea that you moved out of chicago! :(

i'm going to be getting a fixed gear this spring hopefully, and use it for around the city and my road bike for commuting to work and back.

I predict you'll start riding the fixed gear full time once you get used to it :D They are awesome. Do you commute in Chicago? What do you do in the winter? Stronger tires on the road bike?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Are those just the pedals that clip on your shoes? You hate them at first, and fall a lot :), but once you get use to it, you'll swear by them

they are clipless pedals and require the matching shoes. everyone i know that uses them swears by them

I predict you'll start riding the fixed gear full time once you get used to it :D They are awesome. Do you commute in Chicago? What do you do in the winter? Stronger tires on the road bike?

i'm sure i'll ride fixed as i get used to it more. my girlfriend (ms.gio) rides fixed so its mainly for when i'm out with her and just relaxing riding than trying to get to/from work.

as i've just moved and that i havent been using my bike for commuting in the winter. i just got the bike last summer and so its a bit much for me to ride every day still for work. i drive to work right now, if it was closer and a different type of job i wouldn't mind too much. but as of right now its 8+ miles on some not so friendly roads and its a labor intensive job too, which is why i'll probably stay with the road for commuting. some very long days and early mornings too, which is why i have the car for the bad days. or days with migraines. etc.

or i'm a wimp still :p

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
i had no idea that you moved out of chicago! :(

i'm going to be getting a fixed gear this spring hopefully, and use it for around the city and my road bike for commuting to work and back.

Yeah, I think going fixed for my short jaunts on my bike in Chicago was one of the best decisions I ever made in that regard. Really made it easier to navigate in traffic! But for my longer commute, having a freewheel made it a lot nicer, since I could coast. :)

Good luck with it either way, and hopefully I'll end up back in Chicago soon!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
as i've just moved and that i havent been using my bike for commuting in the winter. i just got the bike last summer and so its a bit much for me to ride every day still for work. i drive to work right now, if it was closer and a different type of job i wouldn't mind too much. but as of right now its 8+ miles on some not so friendly roads and its a labor intensive job too, which is why i'll probably stay with the road for commuting. some very long days and early mornings too, which is why i have the car for the bad days. or days with migraines. etc.

or i'm a wimp still :p

Ah, you'll get used to it. I used to take the train a lot until I finally built up to my 15-mile commute every day (each way) in Chicago. I took the LFP most of the time, but in the winter stuck mainly to larger roads like Halsted since they actually cleared it once in a while. Plus, doing a full mile on solid ice on the LFP once was one time too many for me.

But stick with it, you'll end up wondering how the hell you put up with Chicago traffic in a car!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Ah, you'll get used to it. I used to take the train a lot until I finally built up to my 15-mile commute every day (each way) in Chicago. I took the LFP most of the time, but in the winter stuck mainly to larger roads like Halsted since they actually cleared it once in a while. Plus, doing a full mile on solid ice on the LFP once was one time too many for me.

But stick with it, you'll end up wondering how the hell you put up with Chicago traffic in a car!

lol i know i'll get used to it. and i plan to start early this spring.

i get to go from Logan Square out to Morton Grove, Milwalkee won't be a bad street to take for a good portion of the way, its once i hit niles/skokie/morton grove that the streets will be horrible.

Yeah, I think going fixed for my short jaunts on my bike in Chicago was one of the best decisions I ever made in that regard. Really made it easier to navigate in traffic! But for my longer commute, having a freewheel made it a lot nicer, since I could coast. :)

Good luck with it either way, and hopefully I'll end up back in Chicago soon!

glad to hear i'm not being stupid getting another bike :p probably another giant (the bowery) or the raleigh rush hour to start. they do have flip flop hubs, but the fixed i've ridden haven't given me too much hassle, its that i like the high gears for the long trips.

and when/if you're in town let me know and we can go for a ride or get some drinks. of if its the last friday of the month there's always critical mass :p

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
I just noticed those pedals you have on there. I read about those once, but I have never seen or heard about them in real life. How do you like them and where did you pick them up? I have never seen them in any shop before.

They're called eggbeaters by Crankbrothers. They are very very nice IMO the best pedals for a bike. I got them from Togabikes in Nyc. Hard to find in stores but online is a bit easier depending on which ones you get. i got the best pair (which are titanium) for $210 US.

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State
Fourty bucks definatly sounds like the right price to try out the style. Right now I have basic Shimano's on my Felt that are a huge improvement over the toeclips on my fixie.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Don't you need special shoes to go with those as well? And what are the advantages of egg beaters?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Don't you need special shoes to go with those as well? And what are the advantages of egg beaters?

You do need special shoes, but riding with them is a completely different experience. Eggbeaters are nice because you can clip in from all angles, unlike my damn pedals that always flip upside down when I need to clip in.

velojello

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
My Rides

I blew out a fortune last year with these two but they're both worth every penny. These are my first carbon bikes. I was riding a Giant TCR 2 with an alum. frame and carbon fork/post with Shimano 105 on the road. I never had any trouble with it with the exception of a cable replacement or two from stretching.

Attachments

• 07_XENITHTEAM.jpg
    07_XENITHTEAM.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Anthem-Advanced-Blue-White.jpg
    Anthem-Advanced-Blue-White.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 193

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Not a road bike but...

I love my bike. In fact, I can't wait until the snow clears up and I can take it out for a spin! :p

It's a Nirve Beach Cruiser that I got about four years ago.

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 130

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I just got this today. 58cm Specialized Globe Sport (disc). It's my first road bike. Mine looks a bit different than the pic...my top tube is more horizontal.
08GlobeSportDisc_UK_l.jpg

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State
I just got this today. 58cm Specialized Globe Sport (disc). It's my first road bike. Mine looks a bit different than the pic...my top tube is more horizontal.
08GlobeSportDisc_UK_l.jpg

To me that looks like a comfort hybrid bike. If your top tube is more horizontal though, than maybe its just a plain old hybrid. Definitely a great style bike if it is your first and your not too hard core.

crazydrumma

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Chicago
Just bought this ride. msrp on the frame: $895

actually paid: $295

Granted, it's not the most amazing road bike, but I need something to help me save some gas.

bristol_big.jpg

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I picked up a 2008 Giant Simple Single this weekend. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can ride it to work!

Attachments

• IMAGE_005[1].jpg
    IMAGE_005[1].jpg
    317 KB · Views: 157

Gondry

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
London
my new baby:), its on order and I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    296.2 KB · Views: 159

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Hi, thought I would ask for advice here. I saw a beautiful used fixed gear parked outside a cafe here in town today that was selling for about $360. It has a flippable wheel hub to turn it into a single speed. I really really want it and think I might sell my mountain bike to help pay for it. I ride with my roadie mostly anyways, and am not into technical trail riding on the MTB. Thing is, I bought the MTB used and don't know what year it is. I tried looking online but could not find anything with the serial. It is either a 2000 or a 1999 Specialized Rockhopper. It has been upgraded since then (new seat, new grips, new wheels), and I have gotten it professionally tuned up a couple months ago, with hardly any riding since then. Does anyone know what a good price would be to ask for it? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.