Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Very nice. What is your opinion of mescal vs tequila?
They both come from a cactacea (the maguey family), but the mezcal tends to be more "raw" and it goes to your head way faster, specially when used in cocktail drinks.

Flavor also is different. A good mezcal feels kind of "sugary", almost sweet, and the alcohol taste is almost non-existent.

On trademarks, there are lots and lots of different ones, depending on where in the world you live at. My favorite tequilas are (kind of in order of preference)
  1. Reserva de la familia extra añejo, José Cuervo (about 130 USD per bottle)
  2. Siete leguas añejo (about 90 USD per bottle)
  3. Don Julio 1942 añejo (about 120 USD per bottle)
  4. Reserva 1800 añejo (around 30 USD per bottle)
In mezcales, I tend to drink either 400 conejos, Bruxo or Montelobos. I do not have a favorite mezcal you can buy at a store: my favorite mezcal is an artisanal one that I get from one of my patients.

Curious info: In mesoamerican cultures, to say four hundred was equivalent to say "countless, infinite, a lot", kind of like when in ancient Hebrew culture to say "heaven and earth" was equivalent to our current concept of "universe", so to say 400 rabbits is to say "lots of rabbits". The rabbits are a stand in for hallucinations seen after you start drinking mezcal.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
They both come from a cactacea (the maguey family), but the mezcal tends to be more "raw" and it goes to your head way faster, specially when used in cocktail drinks.

Flavor also is different. A good mezcal feels kind of "sugary", almost sweet, and the alcohol taste is almost non-existent.

On trademarks, there are lots and lots of different ones, depending on where in the world you live at. My favorite tequilas are (kind of in order of preference)
  1. Reserva de la familia extra añejo, José Cuervo (about 130 USD per bottle)
  2. Siete leguas añejo (about 90 USD per bottle)
  3. Don Julio 1942 añejo (about 120 USD per bottle)
  4. Reserva 1800 añejo (around 30 USD per bottle)
In mezcales, I tend to drink either 400 conejos, Bruxo or Montelobos. I do not have a favorite mezcal you can buy at a store: my favorite mezcal is an artisanal one that I get from one of my patients.

Curious info: In mesoamerican cultures, to say four hundred was equivalent to say "countless, infinite, a lot", kind of like when in ancient Hebrew culture to say "heaven and earth" was equivalent to our current concept of "universe", so to say 400 rabbits is to say "lots of rabbits". The rabbits are a stand in for hallucinations seen after you start drinking mezcal.
Thanks for the detailed response. My step daughter is marrying a Mexican fellow and he likes mezcal so I am trying to learn a bit. They live in London so don't have access to the full range they would in his homeland. On occasion a friend of his brings a bottle from Mexico when visiting.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Aint whiskey… or whisky ? but … it’s dirty ?

Attachments

• DE6FCFD2-853C-45BA-8D34-2DC42CBA1234.jpeg
    DE6FCFD2-853C-45BA-8D34-2DC42CBA1234.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 143

getthesand0ut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
O.F.C 1995 and a few more E.H Taylors from my recent trip.
tempImageESf0RV.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagetk18nA.png
    tempImagetk18nA.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: Dex762

Dex762

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Aussie
i usually buy a can this is my fave when I’m in mood to drink, I don’t drink very often especially gathering in events with friends I usually drinks with etc
A6D903E2-B3EB-4AAD-BE8E-088769BD4A1B.jpeg

Reactions: getthesand0ut

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
0407F787-E3ED-48BE-86B0-64555B216501.jpeg
I will have to take a picture, but my Scotch collection is growing by leaps and bounds lately.

My favorites so far include Oban 14, Balvanie 17, Balvanie 14 Caribbean cask, The Sassenach, Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or, Talisker 10, Monkey Shoulder, and Jonnie Walker Blue Label (overpriced, but gooood). I’ve got probably another 10 bottles in addition to those.

My wife thinks I’m nuts for having so many, but they make me happy :)

Edit: picture attached though not all bottles present.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.