Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I have my home computer set up as a mini-webserver, which I mostly use for sharing pictures and other files with people, however, recently, I have been unable to serve pictures over a certain size.

Pictures will load to a point, but then they will stop loading and I will get an error in Console.log and system.log:

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: Corrupt JPEG data: 2 extraneous bytes before marker 0xdb
/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment

I know that the pictures are not corrupt because:

1. They worked fine a month ago
2. I can open them in any picture editor/viewer without problems
3. It happens to all my pictures above a certain (unknown) size

Here's a link to one picture: http://cjc343.no-ip.com/IMG_0001.JPG

Everyone who I've had try to load it in any browser cannot load it past the very first part. I have absolutely no clue what's going on.

I hope I provided enough details...

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Original poster
The point is, it ISN'T corrupted, and I have tried resaving pictures. There is nothing wrong with the pictures themselves, and my first thought was that it was Apache (2.0.52) but I don't see how that could be the problem.

After a little more testing, they load fine when I use localhost as the address, but not when I use the no-ip address.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I'm guessing it is something with no-ip then, what happens if you try to access the pictures via the IP address and port (if you are using no-ip to forward to a port other than port 80)?

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Original poster
jaseone said:
I'm guessing it is something with no-ip then, what happens if you try to access the pictures via the IP address and port (if you are using no-ip to forward to a port other than port 80)?

The problem still persists when I use the IP address... good thinking though, I was hoping beyond hope that you'd be right...

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nope, but then, I save my logs to a different location :p

Entry in my custom logs when a photo is accessed:

Time: [07/Nov/2005:18:47:04 -0800]
IP: 66.245.5.34 (My IP...)
Request: "GET /IMG_0001.JPG HTTP/1.1"
Final Status: 200 (No errors...)
Bytes Sent: 1525852
Referer: "-"
User Agent: "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5"
Time in Seconds/microseconds: 0/1335

No message in my error log...

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Looks like Apache is serving the whole file but either your ISP or your connection to your ISP is preventing you from serving anything greater than 45kb, who is your ISP?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Well that is where I would place the blame... Why not use somehere like Flickr or your own hosting to store and serve photos from?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jaseone said:
No-IP is only a DNS service, so you don't actually get data through their servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.