Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
So I updated to iOS 7 beta as soon as it was released. Everything carried over just fine then a few days later I decided to do a clean install and restore from the same back up. Now, more than half of my pictures are missing from both my Camera Roll and Photo Stream. iCloud back up for my Camera Roll still states 220 MB yet only 88 MB was retrieved. Are my pictures recoverable?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
So I updated to iOS 7 beta as soon as it was released. Everything carried over just fine then a few days later I decided to do a clean install and restore from the same back up. Now, more than half of my pictures are missing from both my Camera Roll and Photo Stream. iCloud back up for my Camera Roll still states 220 MB yet only 88 MB was retrieved. Are my pictures recoverable?

Good question. I'm sure you did a backup to your computer, right?
Never trust the cloud, always backup at least twice.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
If your backup still shows the photos are there, I would remove iCloud from your phone, which will delete all photos from your phone. Then add iCloud back and see if the photos appear.

As a side note, iCloud backups do not seem to delete anything until space is needed or you turn it off from backing up in settings. I still have tons of apps and data in iCloud that is no longer on my iPhone and no longer being pushed up to iCloud. It's just sitting there.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Ouch. I don't think they can be recovered. Perhaps try again, maybe with any luck more will show up. If it was a bug, then it's worth trying again.

If your backup still shows the photos are there, I would remove iCloud from your phone, which will delete all photos from your phone. Then add iCloud back and see if the photos appear.

As a side note, iCloud backups do not seem to delete anything until space is needed or you turn it off from backing up in settings. I still have tons of apps and data in iCloud that is no longer on my iPhone and no longer being pushed up to iCloud. It's just sitting there.

Thanks guys for the replies but it seems like my pics are long gone... My iCloud Camera Roll back up now reflects what was only uploaded to my phone (88 MB) and no longer displays my back up as 220 MB worth of pics... Sometimes the lazy route isnt always the best it seems hah. Wont rely iCloud as much from now on.

Hopefully, its only a bug with iOS 7 and it could be fixed by the next beta or the final version

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks guys for the replies but it seems like my pics are long gone... My iCloud Camera Roll back up now reflects what was only uploaded to my phone (88 MB) and no longer displays my back up as 220 MB worth of pics... Sometimes the lazy route isnt always the best it seems hah. Wont rely iCloud as much from now on.

Hopefully, its only a bug with iOS 7 and it could be fixed by the next beta or the final version

That's a shame, but a hard lesson learned. Always back up locally before installing a beta.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Sorry you lost your pics. Dumb question, but any chance you're using Photostream and they are in Photostream or copied down to a PC/Mac or other iOS device?

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Sorry you lost your pics. Dumb question, but any chance you're using Photostream and they are in Photostream or copied down to a PC/Mac or other iOS device?

good question actually and yes i had PhotoStream for my PC set up and it only showed me the same pics that were made available on my iPhone.

MistApo

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
There are two ways for you to recover deleted data on iPhone.
Way 1: retrieve pictures from iPhone with iTunes backup file
1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
2. Open iTunes.
3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.
5. Select Restore From Backup...
6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.
Way 2 : to retrieve pictures from icloud (other backup)

LindseyVonne

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
There are two ways for you to recover deleted data on iPhone.
Way 1: retrieve pictures from iPhone with iTunes backup file
1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
2. Open iTunes.
3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.
5. Select Restore From Backup...
6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.
Way 2 : to retrieve pictures from icloud (other backup)
Are you sure? I don't think thesy method can recover photo from iCloud backup after reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.