Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Thatā€™s a lot of buzz for a camera module that is identical to iPhone 14 Pro.

But please bring on shots from the tetraprism lens. Iā€™m very interested in what is has to offer.
Exactly, same sensor and all šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

The things theyā€™re marketing with the 15 Pro can be done on the 14 Pro, please donā€™t tell me the A16 isnā€™t powerful enough to adjust Smart HDR and Portraits. You can already adjust a regular photo for Portrait using a 3rd party app like Focos.

On top of that with the new HEIF Max 48mp option it makes upgrading to the 15 Pro pointless. Least for those of use who have the 14 Pros lol

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Pro Max ā€120mm Lenseā€ aside, the 15 pro and 14pro has the EXACT same specs because has the same components

And DrWojtek said "Thatā€™s a lot of buzz for a camera module that is identical to iPhone 14 Pro."

Wrong. This and the statement by Oscar_440 that "the 15 pro and 14pro has the EXACT same specs because has the same components" simply proves that the posters fail to understand camera systems. There are many evolutionary improvements in the 15 Pro systems, including the obvious fact that far more computational capacity is available to the system. Using words like "identical to" and "EXACT same specs" is so inaccurate as to be disingenuous.

Feel free to claim that one's personal experience proves that the 15 is less good or no change after using the 14 and 15 for a few weeks. But reading specs, watching click-bait prerelease videos and then making uninformed denigrations is just not right.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Love this and my 15pm natural will be mine in store at 8:30 am. I am looking forward to the 24mp and portrait mode changes mostly. I will
Also use the 5x a lot. My 14pm has been great though and sad to sell it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does anyone know the minimum focusing distance of the new 120mm (5X) telephoto lens? This gets to be an important spec when you get into these longer focal lengths.

DrWojtek

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2023
And DrWojtek said "Thatā€™s a lot of buzz for a camera module that is identical to iPhone 14 Pro."

Wrong. This and the statement by Oscar_440 that "the 15 pro and 14pro has the EXACT same specs because has the same components" simply proves that the posters fail to understand camera systems. There are many evolutionary improvements in the 15 Pro systems, including the obvious fact that far more computational capacity is available to the system. Using words like "identical to" and "EXACT same specs" is so inaccurate as to be disingenuous.

Feel free to claim that one's personal experience proves that the 15 is less good or no change after using the 14 and 15 for a few weeks. But reading specs, watching click-bait prerelease videos and then making uninformed denigrations is just not right.
Thatā€™s marketing buzz for you. And even if it were to make a noticeable difference, it would be entirely possible for Apple to inplement it on the iPhone 14 Pro as well. If they wanted to.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I hope I can take some pics like the ones in the beginning of this thread.
Tell me, does it affect the pics if you use one of those lens protectors from ESR and such?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Thatā€™s marketing buzz for you. And even if it were to make a noticeable difference, it would be entirely possible for Apple to inplement it on the iPhone 14 Pro as well. If they wanted to.
Sorry but that is just wrong. You fail to grasp how important the computational aspect is to digital capture. E.g. Nikon made D3, D4, D5, etc. pro DSLR bodies with Expeed 1, 2, 3, etc. ongoing improvements. The idea that the Nikon D6 (with Expeed 6) performance could be implemented on the Nikon D5 with its Expeed 5 computational capability would be absurd.

The same applies to 14 Pro evolving to 15 Pro. All those additional engineering hours and all those additional transistors on the newer chip have substantive consequences. It is not "entirely possible for Apple to inplement it on the iPhone 14 Pro."

[Of course some upgrades can indeed be back-upgraded in software.]

Last edited:

DrWojtek

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2023
Sorry but that is just wrong. You fail to grasp how important the computational aspect is to digital capture. E.g. Nikon made D3, D4, D5, etc. pro DSLR bodies with Expeed 1, 2, 3, etc. ongoing improvements. The idea that the Nikon D6 (with Expeed 6) performance could be implemented on the Nikon D5 with its Expeed 5 computational capability would be absurd.

The same applies to 14 Pro evolving to 15 Pro. All those additional engineering hours and all those additional transistors on the newer chip have substantive consequences. It is not "entirely possible for Apple to inplement it on the iPhone 14 Pro."

[Of course some upgrades can indeed be back-upgraded in software.]
Donā€™t compare the iPhone to a DSLR. The camera packade for the main sensor of the 15 Pro is identical to 14 Pro save for a coated lens element. The 16 Bionic is plenty powerful. Indeed the A17 ā€™Proā€™ has a more powerful neural engine but that would not be involved in the heavy lifting - and if it were the case the A16 would manage the same task, albeit milliseconds slower.
This year is the first time in five years Apple did nit upgrade the sensor on the main lens on the Pro model. Thatā€™s a fact.

iPhone 15 Pro :48MP, IMX803,
iPhone 14 Pro: 48MP, IMX803,1/1.28 iPhone 13 Proļ¼š12MPļ¼ŒIMX703,1/1.63 iPhone 12 Proļ¼š12MP, IMX603ļ¼Œ1/1.78 iPhone 11 Proļ¼š12MP, IMX503, 1/2.55

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Pro Max ā€120mm Lenseā€ aside, the 15 pro and 14pro has the EXACT same specs because has the same components

Yes which is very disappointing. I knew this since the keynote BUT the one thing they didn't mention was Smart HDR moving from version 4 to version 5 on the 15 line. This made me (and a few others) think there would be some substantial improvements to the way the camera renders, after all the smartphone camera software pipeline is what really determines the picture quality.

From the looks of it so far it's a mixed bag. Some reviewers are showing basically zero change to the way pics look (outside of a tiny bit more detail with the new 24MP mode) and a few others are saying skin tones and highlights are better. That's why I'm really eager to see example pics in the thread.

• Love
Reactions: Oscar_440

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
Okay guys. How about instead of filling this thread with moaning about the 15 lenses, that you instead fill it with photos when you get your new phones? Don't bring that negative nonsense in here. Nobody cares. It's tiring. This thread is for sharing photos. That's it.

Loudsilvereel

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Auckland, NZ
9.30am in NZ letā€™s go! 256gb pm nt

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpeg
    IMG_4120.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 185

ringomainichi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Thatā€™s a lot of buzz for a camera module that is identical to iPhone 14 Pro.

But please bring on shots from the tetraprism lens. Iā€™m very interested in what is has to offer.
This TechCrunch review has a link to a raw .dng image file from the 15 Pro Max 120mm 5x tetraprism lens:
The link to the raw file is about halfway through the review, of a neon sign at night.
(The YouTube video linked in the review is misleading: much or most of it was taken with a non-iphone camera, indicated in VERY fine print at the bottom "shot on professional camera".)

The module might be identical, but the sensors are updated every generation too FE iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 was an absolutely massive upgrade mostly based in new sensor.

Can anybody say something about the ProRaw color depth on iPhone 15 ?? 12 and 13 got 12bit depth, the iPhone 14 Pro reduced that to 10 bit, even though the colour depth of the sensor itself is 12 bit. No discussion or comparison anywhere.
The sensor in the 15 Pro Max 120mm camera (1.12 micron) is 25% larger area than the sensor in the 14 or 15 Pro 77 mm camera (1.0 micron).

According to the exif info from the 120mm raw .dng file from the review, the color depth is 10 bit.
"Bits Per Sample : 10 10 10"

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Yes which is very disappointing. I knew this since the keynote BUT the one thing they didn't mention was Smart HDR moving from version 4 to version 5 on the 15 line. This made me (and a few others) think there would be some substantial improvements to the way the camera renders, after all the smartphone camera software pipeline is what really determines the picture quality.

From the looks of it so far it's a mixed bag. Some reviewers are showing basically zero change to the way pics look (outside of a tiny bit more detail with the new 24MP mode) and a few others are saying skin tones and highlights are better. That's why I'm really eager to see example pics in the thread.
Apple has already published many pix from the new phone cameras and those pix already show that the new camera systems are quite capable. Real user pix are fun to see but do not really measure the camera competence.

Reactions: midkay

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
This TechCrunch review has a link to a raw .dng image file from the 15 Pro Max 120mm 5x tetraprism lens:
The link to the raw file is about halfway through the review, of a neon sign at night.
(The YouTube video linked in the review is misleading: much or most of it was taken with a non-iphone camera, indicated in VERY fine print at the bottom "shot on professional camera".)

The sensor in the 15 Pro Max 120mm camera (1.12 micron) is 25% larger area than the sensor in the 14 or 15 Pro 77 mm camera (1.0 micron).

According to the exif info from the 120mm raw .dng file from the review, the color depth is 10 bit.
"Bits Per Sample : 10 10 10"
That TechCrunch article link exudes competence, not sensationalism. Highly recommended.

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
We get it, you can't afford a 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.