Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Ok I think I might of found a great billfold type case for my iPad. The Piel Frama cases.

They come in many color leather cases, and I am trying to decide between the tan or black, but am leaning towards the tan.

http://www.cases.com/pf484t.htm

or

http://www.cases.com/pf485t.htm

The first one has 2 magnets to keep it closed, and the 2nd has a flap with a small magnetic latch. I can't decide which one I want. I really don't like having magnets in a case, but on the 2nd one I wonder how practical the flap type case is.

Neither has an inner flap to prevent iPad slippage, but I hear that the inside leather does kind of stop it from slipping. The thing that bothers me, is in the photos there is no cut out for the light sensor. I emailed their CS today to see if they had an answer to that question. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Has anyone bought from cases.com before? I noticed you can get these cases on Amazon as well, but they are $119 on there where as they are $99 on cases.com. I was curious if anyone had experience with them.

Outside if the inner flap not being there, I really do like this case. I do agree that for the money, the Yoobao case is the best bang for your buck, but for a professional looking leather case like this, it might be worth the $99.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Wait for the beyza version. It addresses the flaws of the piel frama. Piel frama won't stand in vertical position.

joleel7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Ok I think I might of found a great billfold type case for my iPad. The Piel Frama cases.

They come in many color leather cases, and I am trying to decide between the tan or black, but am leaning towards the tan.

http://www.cases.com/pf484t.htm

or

http://www.cases.com/pf485t.htm

The first one has 2 magnets to keep it closed, and the 2nd has a flap with a small magnetic latch. I can't decide which one I want. I really don't like having magnets in a case, but on the 2nd one I wonder how practical the flap type case is.

Neither has an inner flap to prevent iPad slippage, but I hear that the inside leather does kind of stop it from slipping. The thing that bothers me, is in the photos there is no cut out for the light sensor. I emailed their CS today to see if they had an answer to that question. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Has anyone bought from cases.com before? I noticed you can get these cases on Amazon as well, but they are $119 on there where as they are $99 on cases.com. I was curious if anyone had experience with them.

Outside if the inner flap not being there, I really do like this case. I do agree that for the money, the Yoobao case is the best bang for your buck, but for a professional looking leather case like this, it might be worth the $99.

I got my Magnet Pielframa black from cases.com no complaint I am always a Pielframa fan check out http://www.retailmenot.com/view/cases.com some discount code may still be working.. BTW I use cases.com twice so far their CS is great!

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I got the magnetic case in blue - didn't like having the flap - no problems with compass. The leather is very quality, no glue smell.

No inner flap but my iPad won't fall out unless I shake extremely hard - ie, not normal usage.

Yes there's a cutout for the light sensor.

Bought from cases.com, very fast shipping. I'd certainly buy from them again.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
Reviewd the Piel Frama case with the two-magnet-securing flap here: http://www.gadgetoid.com/2010/05/17/piel-frama-leather-flip-cover-ipad-case/

I really like it, although I don't use it over my Vaja iVolution. It has a cut-out for the light sensor (which in my naivety at the time I mistook for a camera cut-out) and holds the iPad securely enough- simply because the slot for inserting it is along the edge where the front cover joins the back of the case.

It's a very nice executive filo-fax reminiscent case on the whole that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Just make sure you're comfortable living without a vertical stand (I've never had a reason to stand the iPad vertically). Oh, and outside of Black I can't say I'm fond of the colour choices!

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
This case has been out a while, there is surprisingly another thread already dedicated to this discussion so why this one was created is a little puzzling.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
This case has been out a while, there is surprisingly another thread already dedicated to this discussion so why this one was created is a little puzzling.

Well you can have multiple threads talking about the same product but different aspects about it.

Instead of just minding your own business, why don't you go to the top iPad forum and tell them to stop posting about the iPad cause someone else just posted a thread featuring the iPad in their thread.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
It's a very nice executive filo-fax reminiscent case on the whole that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Just make sure you're comfortable living without a vertical stand (I've never had a reason to stand the iPad vertically). Oh, and outside of Black I can't say I'm fond of the colour choices!

Ya I think I'm going to get the magnetic version. Now I can't decide between the black or the tan case. I'm still leaning towards the tan though. It just looks more classy.

The black one will pretty much match anything, but the tan might stand out too much.

Also to all who bought the black, did you guys get the black with the black interior or the tan interior?

Star56

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
I have a black Piel Frama with the snap closure flap.

At first I thought it too thick. But I must admit that I have come back to it ( I now own five cases) and am using it as my main case. It has a great quality feel and look to it. It is a serious contender for anyone wanting a quality folio style case. $99 is a great price also.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Do you have a link for that version?

No they posted it 3 days ago, but then removed it from the site because it's not released yet. However I caught a glimpse of it when they were presumably preparing a test page for the release.

It looks very similar to the Piel Frama but has a fastener which allows it to stand upright in a stable way.

I've bought Beyza cases before and they use very premium leather so it always looks and feels great.

I was going to buy the Piel Frama myself, but after I saw the video which showed it can't stand upright, I nixed that idea. I watch movies on the plane so the vertical position is critical.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I have a tan Piel Frama iPad case, and a tan Beyza iPhone case. The Beyza is of very good quality leather, and the updated pull strap (with the metal tab) makes it even better than the previous version. As happy as I am with it, though, the craftsmanship of the PF case is clearly a step above. The leather is soft to the touch, but unlike many soft leathers it resists stains from water or sweat, and after almost three weeks of heavy use it still looks brand new.

I use a Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad in the case fairly often, and it is very stable in landscape mode, and only slightly less so in portrait orientation where the cover is opened around 315 degrees to provide support. Maybe on a crowded moving train I'd think twice about propping it vertically, but at home, never.

As another poster commented, there is no issue with slippage, despite the opening. The case is perfectly sized to the iPad, and the leather tends to provide sufficient friction to keep it in place.

I like the magnetic closure; it also serves to keep the cover squarely in place and looking neat and professional. I'm very satisfied with the practical aspects of the case, but it is the look and feel of it that I appreciate every time I use it.

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
I was going to buy the Piel Frama myself, but after I saw the video which showed it can't stand upright, I nixed that idea. I watch movies on the plane so the vertical position is critical.

Why would you watch movies in vertical position? I recently watched a movie on a flight and the PF case stood great (horizontally) on the tray table. This was even with the person in front putting their seat back which is yet another reason I love the iPad over traveling with my laptop.

I'd second all the opinions above about the PF case. My favorite!

zwaffel

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Got my Piel Frama case today. Its very nice, good quality leather. A good replacement for my Quirky cloak, which is a tank.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
After owning my Piel Frama for over a month I've noticed that it leaves stains on the back of my iPad's invisible shield. Tried scrubbing with water and it didn't come out, not sure if this is permanent as the oils from the leather come off and the shield absorbs.

mosso2000

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Reviewd the Piel Frama case with the two-magnet-securing flap here: http://www.gadgetoid.com/2010/05/17/piel-frama-leather-flip-cover-ipad-case/

I really like it, although I don't use it over my Vaja iVolution. It has a cut-out for the light sensor (which in my naivety at the time I mistook for a camera cut-out) and holds the iPad securely enough- simply because the slot for inserting it is along the edge where the front cover joins the back of the case.

Interesting. Why do you favour the ivolution? I thought the case with more functionalities would win. Have you tried the apple case too?

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I'm wondering if we should make a case that is more functional/folio like. Right now we only have a sleeve.

Yes! Yes! and Yes!

I have and use your sleeve...occasionally...since it's functionality is fine when one can/wants to use the iPad naked. A folio type case or even something like the Vaja ivolution top would be great.

The sheer thickness of the leather you use may pose a challenge, but the quality has to be seen to be appreciated.

I also have your bi-fold wallet (unbelievable) and just ordered a medium satchel. Laughed my arse off on the Niagara Falls location video of Dave trying to describe it and the background typed corrections.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
After owning my Piel Frama for over a month I've noticed that it leaves stains on the back of my iPad's invisible shield. Tried scrubbing with water and it didn't come out, not sure if this is permanent as the oils from the leather come off and the shield absorbs.
I took mine out of the case and also noticed the same stains. I also have a invisible shield on the back of mine. I sure it just stained the shield and not the iPad. But I would be nervous using it without a shield on the back.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I took mine out of the case and also noticed the same stains. I also have a invisible shield on the back of mine. I sure it just stained the shield and not the iPad. But I would be nervous using it without a shield on the back.

No shield on mine and my PF case has not stained my iPad. I guess it's a flaw with the shield.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I have the Piel Frama magnetic case in black. No closure flap.

I have NEVER seen a more beautifully crafted piece of leather in my life. The stitching, quality of leather, EVERYTHING is made of leather. No felt, rubber, cloth etc. All sides/corners are protected.

This is a mans case. Defiantly Masculine.

Had mine for three weeks, and Im STILL in awe of the quality. It just feels SO good in your hands.

Such class.

P.S. I pray that Apple doesnt change the size of the iPad on the next gen, so I can still use this case for that one..

Did I say I like this case? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.