Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Since I don't really need hands free or bluetooth........If I buy the DEH-P4000UB unit w/out bluetooth and a call comes in does anyone know will the music will fade out and I would pick it up? If that's the case that's what i am looking for. I wonder if I bring my phone and usb cable in the Circuit City store and have them plug it in, play a mp3 file and then I would use a different cell phone to call my # if that would work the same way in the store. hmmmm

also I have the AOL radio app on my iPhone which streams live radio, music, etc....will that also work on this DEH-P4000UB unit? or is it just for mp3's off of my iPhone's Ipod library? has anyone tried this yet?

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Since I don't really need hands free or bluetooth........If I buy the DEH-P4000UB unit w/out bluetooth and a call comes in does anyone know will the music will fade out and I would pick it up? If that's the case that's what i am looking for. I wonder if I bring my phone and usb cable in the Circuit City store and have them plug it in, play a mp3 file and then I would use a different cell phone to call my # if that would work the same way in the store. hmmmm

also I have the AOL radio app on my iPhone which streams live radio, music, etc....will that also work on this DEH-P4000UB unit? or is it just for mp3's off of my iPhone's Ipod library? has anyone tried this yet?

Yes I have that head-unit in my Nissan and it works like you said. Music is playing, and when a call comes in it fades out and you can answer either regular or speakerphone. Speakerphone of course doesn't come through the car speakers.

It probably wouldn't work in the store as they usually don't have the head-units entirely hooked up. It might be on the display wall but I doubt they will have the usb cord plugged in.

And for any 3rd party apps you have on the phone, they will work through the car stereo. This is the best part about the setup; I listen to Tuner streaming my favorite internet radio stations. All you need to do is set the head-unit to let the iphone control playback. Otherwise, when set on head-unit control, all you can do is browse your music library on the headunit and play music that way. You'll see how exactly to change the control selection in the user manual. Good luck hope this was helpful!

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Yes I have that head-unit in my Nissan and it works like you said. Music is playing, and when a call comes in it fades out and you can answer either regular or speakerphone. Speakerphone of course doesn't come through the car speakers.

It probably wouldn't work in the store as they usually don't have the head-units entirely hooked up. It might be on the display wall but I doubt they will have the usb cord plugged in.

And for any 3rd party apps you have on the phone, they will work through the car stereo. This is the best part about the setup; I listen to Tuner streaming my favorite internet radio stations. All you need to do is set the head-unit to let the iphone control playback. Otherwise, when set on head-unit control, all you can do is browse your music library on the headunit and play music that way. You'll see how exactly to change the control selection in the user manual. Good luck hope this was helpful!

thanks. i think this is what I want then.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007

I was thinking about getting the Alpine x200. If I don't need hands free /bluetooth will this unit also charge, play mp3's and accept incoming calls on my Iphone 3G? Incoming calls meaning it would fade out the music and I would pick it up by hand.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699321&type=product&id=1199494646121

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
I was thinking about getting the Alpine x200. If I don't need hands free /bluetooth will this unit also charge, play mp3's and accept incoming calls on my Iphone 3G? Incoming calls meaning it would fade out the music and I would pick it up by hand.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699321&type=product&id=1199494646121

I can't speak with direct experience with this Alpine headunit, but from the specs it seems it would work the same way as the Pioneer. To be honest, the Pioneer is probably just as good if not better and I know for a fact it works with the iPhone. Is there something with this Alpine that made you change your mind?

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I can't speak with direct experience with this Alpine headunit, but from the specs it seems it would work the same way as the Pioneer. To be honest, the Pioneer is probably just as good if not better and I know for a fact it works with the iPhone. Is there something with this Alpine that made you change your mind?

nothing really, I like them both.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007

I also noticed the Pioneer DEH-P400UB. The only difference I could see between this one and the DEH-P4000UB is that it includes the ipod cable and the light color is only blue vs the 4000 which is green/blue. Do you see anything else? I called Best Buy and Circuit City and none of them have the installation kit in stock for my '05 Highlander.....

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I have been looking for a good head unit for the iPhone 3g. I found a good review at zollotech.com at this link

It is for a Pioneer stereo, deh600ub. The review sounds like it might be a decent choice. Whatd do you guys think and do you have any other options?

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I just had my Pioneer dehp-400ub installed. Love it for my iPhone 3G. Charges, play mp3's and accept incoming calls!

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007

I have a few questions now that I have the Pioneer unit all set up in my SUV.

How do you have the cord that goes from the stereo unit to the iPhone set up? Do you leave it hanging all over or do you have it set up specifically so nobody can really see it?

Where can I find a rubber insert for the pocket which is located under the stereo's dash kit? Here is a link to what I have.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=112200&i=003TOYK975&tp=3121

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
I also noticed the Pioneer DEH-P400UB. The only difference I could see between this one and the DEH-P4000UB is that it includes the ipod cable and the light color is only blue vs the 4000 which is green/blue. Do you see anything else? I called Best Buy and Circuit City and none of them have the installation kit in stock for my '05 Highlander.....

i believe another difference is that the p400UB has the aux in at the front of the deck while the p4000UB has the aux in only at the rear.

jkahne

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
I'm thinking about picking up the DEH-P400UB as well. Do I need to buy any additional cables to hook my iPhone 3G up to it? If so, what's a good cable?

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
No, the cables are included. You need nothing when you buy it except for the wiring harness to hook the unit to your car. The iPhone 3G will work and charge directly off the adapter that comes with the unit.

nerdherdman

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
dehp400ub

With this radio and the Iphone 3G I get the dreaded accessory connected message. If you like starting a song or album playing on the iphone then plugging into the iphone 3g. After plugging it in this radio gets the dreaded accessory connected message.

Is there a way to get the Pioneer Dehp400ub to work where ipod menus can be read when the cable is plugged in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.